Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Debate about the new dungeon timer system

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Debate about the new dungeon timer system

Note to reader: Please do not get this thread closed by starting a flame war or posting useless rubbish. The purpose of this thread is to civilly discuss thoughts, ideas, or complaints about the new timer system's effect on the Season 1 leaderboards for Crypts and Elite map records.

After yesterday's patch, people are now aware that the dungeon timers have been change. As of right now, the timer starts once a mob is aggro'd, rather than killing a mob. The biggest dilemma in this patch is that most people can't seem to understand that real effect that it does on the leaderboards.

The patch didn't improve anybody's chances of getting in the leaderboard, it got diminished. It basically grants the current players on the LB a lock on their spot.

Since the timer now starts on the initial aggro of a mob, there is NO WAY anybody can beat any of the current timers. Most of the runs were careful planned and organized through trial and error to achieve those timers, which is no way shape or form considered cheating. Pre-patch, you could guesstimate the distance, time, and number of mobs needed to be killed in order to spawn the boss. Post-patch, those variables are irrelevant since the timer starts the moment a mob is pulled.

I have no problem having this new system in Season 2. However, if this system permanently stays for the remainder of S1, best believe that the current Crypts timers will NEVER be beat, and the Elite maps will most likely stay as well, which means whatever you see on the leaderboard right now will most likely be the final look of it.

Am I a little ticked off that I can no longer challenge the current records? Yes.
    Do I care? Not so much. However, rest assured that many people are irate because S2 isn't due till in about 2 weeks(optimistically), and that it is more than enough time to try and beat the current records. Although I do have several spots on the board, I would like a fair shot on every category on the same playing field that these records were set.

More importantly, does this new system give MORE players a BETTER chance of getting in the leaderboards in Season 2? An absolute, emphatic NO. I've seen a couple of people run this logic through their head, which boggles my mind. I don't see how this makes timed runs easier. The same rule applies to everyone, and if anything, the top timed run players will be able to adjust.

And yes, this is a big deal. It has been announced that people on the upper echelon of the leaderboards will be rewarded as the season ends.

Input from STS would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ProSophist; 12-08-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Grammar

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ProSophist For This Useful Post: