Thread: Few questions about skills

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Few questions about skills

Hello all. I've just made a rogue, it's lv16 and I have few questions about it.

1. Noxious Bolt:
    What does Fragmentation and Serrated Arrowhead upgrade? Poison or hit damage?
    Is it good in pvp and pve?
    Is posion dmg good enough for pvp/pve?
    Is poison dmg from charged Nox bolt higher than uncharged, or it's same?
    Is it worth upgrading Strengthened Shot for soloing?

2. Entagling Trap:
    I dont understand what's so good about this skill and why so many people reccomend it. Anyone can explain?
    It's pve only, right?

3. Shadow Piercer:
    Is it worth using it in PVE or should I swap it with something else?

3. Razor Shield VS Shadow Veil:
    Both are pve skills right?
    Razor does dmg and gives dodge buff, Veil gives armor buff and dmg buff and it lasts 2secs longer. What do you recommend for pve?

Two things more. PVP and PVE builds:
    PVP: Is Aimed Shot, Shadow Piercer, Noxious Bolt and Combat Medic best combo for pvp?
    PVE: I was about to go with Aimed Shot, Noxious Bolt, Shadow Piercer and Razor Shield or Shadow Veil. What do you suggest? Or it's better to use Trap? (since idk why lots of people reccomend it)

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of questions zzz.
    1) Fragmentation seems to be for poison while serrated arrowhead seems to be for damage. (could be vice versa)
    Yup, Noxious Bolt is worth it. Helps against those pesky warrior and mage shields.
    Poison damage is the sole reason to use Noxious Bolt.
    I think it might be higher.
    I guess you could do that.

2) Entangling trap. Yes, its almost useless in PVP. Its purpose is to group mobs together so they can be hit easily . Also, entangling trap is used in the grinder, Alrisaia wrote an excellent description and tutorial of it so definitely go and check it out.

3) Shadow Piercer is useful in both PVE and PVP. In PVE, it helps check the weaker mobs quickly when you charge it (Hits multiple times) and it, at max can recover 30% of your health.

4) Both are equally useful in PVE IMO but if you really must know, I think Veil has more general usefulness.

5) PVP Build: Yes, that is what most people are using now.
    PVE: Entangling requires some effort and team help to pull off so it might not be that easy to do but its worth it. Otherwise, Aimed Shot, Noxious Bolt, Shadow Piercer and Razor Shield or Shadow Veil will work.
    Your Welcome ~~~

Check out our Youtube Channel in my sigpic and our guild thread here!
    Til It's Gone... [RETIRED]

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vaeriu For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

Noxious bolt churns out poisonous dmg.its not either or.its one.its a type of an attack.
    If im not mistaken fragmentation is meant for single target.upgrade 2 and 3 designed for group attack.

Noxious bolt is handy for both pve and pvp due to the dmg it inflicted.very handy for mobs and boss fight also dmging other players.combine with aimed and crits chance it certainly deadly.
    Its not necessary having to charge nox.you can use combo taps.
    I can remember the description for strengthening shot.but for pve i will upgrade all 4.pvp just 1 and 3.the description highlights the usage for either solo or group.

Trap is for mobs control deadly if used wisely in pve.since your attack can be planned and mobs behavior is predictable it can save time while efficiently kill mobs thus also increasing your survivability in a run.simply said the faster you kill the higher chance for you to survive.i personally love trap for pve runs except few specific maps where using trap is less effective.overall its a good skill for rogue.

Shadow pierce is a good skill for rogue either movement or offensive (with the right upgrades and combo).for a nornal farming it can be swap with either trap or razor but overall its an essential skills in both pve and pvp.

Veil is highly favourable pve skill due to its dodge and offensive buff which helps pt survivability not just you.i find razor useful for soloing esp in creep to help you survive as well as dmg output.but veil is commonly the choice for pve where you should run with pt.i personally favour veil over razor.moving within the smoke perimiter give you more crits success rather than razor bleeding dmg.

My understanding of diff with pve/pvp skills are mostly in the skills and upgrade selection.where pve uses group attack rather than single shot.similar to dropping medics which is a skill used mostly in pvp not pve since you can pots.
    semi-retired

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alfai For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chorba69 View Post

1. Noxious Bolt:

It gives extra dmg on hit (Fragmentation) stacks dmg on each time the opponet is affected by poison. Ehh on each DoT it stacks dmg

Both

Some say yes some say no, thay's up to you.

Charged attacks always gives more dmg, unless it's piercer

No

2. Entagling Trap:
    I dont understand what's so good about this skill and why so many people reccomend it. Anyone can explain?
    It's pve only, right?

It slows down enemies (especially for archers) sometimes draws then in so the smurf can drop clock on them creating massice DoT. It's very much useful

3. Shadow Piercer:

If you're an arena runnee then piercer is the thing. Are you a bow user? Then you need piercer too

I know a few rouges using razor in PvP, but it's mostly a PvE skill imo it's useless tho (sorry Iluvataris)

Razor does dmg and gives dodge buff, Veil gives armor buff and dmg buff and it lasts 2secs longer. What do you recommend for pve?

Veil all the way! It gives dmg buff and armor buffs for ALL enemies + it lasts longer than razor. Btw keep in mind it gives armor buff, pretty much the same as dodge in the long run

PVP: Is Aimed Shot, Shadow Piercer, Noxious Bolt and Combat Medic best combo for pvp?

Yes

PVE: I was about to go with Aimed Shot, Noxious Bolt, Shadow Piercer and Razor Shield or Shadow Veil. What do you suggest? Or it's better to use Trap? (since idk why lots of people reccomend it)

Aimed Shot, Nox, Trap and Veil. Aimed and nox is ofc mandatory, veil for allies buff trap for mage support + it helps everyone, it slows down the attack of the mobs + it has a small DoT.

Bow rouge aimed shot, nox, pierce, veil

Thanks in advance.
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Soundlesskill; 09-27-2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Edited because I felt like it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Soundlesskill For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I must say thanks people. Things are lil bit easier now Just few things more. About the trap. How long does it last (since I havent it yet) and, how to pull all the mobs in the trap doesnt pull it by itself with those 20% chance? Plus it has small range. How to do that? Run around and when mobs are in the trap just spam basic attack+AS+nox? Isnt there a high chance of dying?
    And yeah. How do you deal with low mana? PVE it's kinda "ok" since we have pots, but for PVP?
    Last question (I guess haha), how you fight vs those stun mages or warriors? Open with aimed shot, then nox then piercer and throw charged packs or?
    Whops one more question. Which skills are reccomended to charge before attack? Both in PVE and PVP.
    Thanks once again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

Nicely written Emma.

I cant remember exactly the description for traps upgrades.and its kinda hard to explain it in written format.
    Well deploying trap takes practise.you gotta know the spot and time it so everything falls perfectly.the 20prcnt pull is an excellent force to organize mobs within the range,trapping em while they stand helplessly waiting for death,torchured by the bleeding effect while you and your party satisfy the thirst of killing.
    Assuming in motion you would deploy trap and kite more mobs to get within range before the magic happens.simply said the trap needs to be deployed at the centre of your offensive box.this with archers in mind needs to be well put as archers have a certain range of following your bait.a succesful trap is laid down and pulling an equal amount of mobs surrounding it (close range) for you to enjoy.always imagine the offensive box when you encounter the mobs group and have it place somewhere at its center ensuring 1 of them to be lured and step on it.traps deploy rarely done when your movement are static.usually while you are running to lure mobs in.

Rogue has an issue with mana this season where skills are costly.i can advise much in pve since you can pots.in pvp its best to switch to mana pets like nexus,mccraw or even valkin when its safe to refill mana.or make use the mana pack at flag base which means you gotta move swift and rejoin your team.

Ive shared my way of dealing with mages and tanks in other threads.for mage either you faat enough by killing him first with a charged aimed and shadow pierce (before a shield is cast).or dropping packs first and reheal when you are first stunned and shield casted.save your attacks for few sec bfore tapping aimed normal sp or charge normal to stun tap aimed tap nox or any of the offensive skills combo (without charging).mages are defensless once the shield is off.

As for tank this season dmg does not necessarily win.as tank has an almost equally painful dmg and you couldnt keep up with tgeir high hp and armour.one thing i notice is mana drain for rogue so i use nexus for fight.a rogue can sustain the match if they can drop packs more than once.its best to drop packs and move around it while being hit.with tank slightly lower response you have time to charge your attacks to bring down their hp.

I personally would charge normal attack hoping for stun success.many things can be done once your opponent are stunned.for pve i go with maximizing dmg all the way i.e chargng aimed first.
    semi-retired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey, i'm lvl 16, pvp character, what should i do with my stat ? me use 70 dex, 10 str, 10 int , is that great ?
    Sorry bad english

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aditya39 View Post
    hey, i'm lvl 16, pvp character, what should i do with my stat ? me use 70 dex, 10 str, 10 int , is that great ?
    Sorry bad english

At level 16 I'd still suggest going all DeX with base stats. You can use StR>DeX rings and amulets to make up for health and use a pet like Talon to make up for lack of Mana. PM me for tricks on how to use him.
    The Collective - Toa Aiga

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alfai View Post
    Nicely written Emma.

Thanks

I cant remember exactly the description for traps upgrades.and its kinda hard to explain it in written format.
    Well deploying trap takes practise.you gotta know the spot and time it so everything falls perfectly.the 20prcnt pull is an excellent force to organize mobs within the range,trapping em while they stand helplessly waiting for death,torchured by the bleeding effect while you and your party satisfy the thirst of killing.

I believe there isn't really a special timing to to drop trap, just drop it close to the huge group of mobs so they can walk over it and trigger the pull/slow

Assuming in motion you would deploy trap and kite more mobs to get within range before the magic happens.simply said the trap needs to be deployed at the centre of your offensive box.this with archers in mind needs to be well put as archers have a certain range of following your bait.a succesful trap is laid down and pulling an equal amount of mobs surrounding it (close range) for you to enjoy.always imagine the offensive box when you encounter the mobs group and have it place somewhere at its center ensuring 1 of them to be lured and step on it.traps deploy rarely done when your movement are static.usually while you are running to lure mobs in.

Well said

Rogue has an issue with mana this season where skills are costly.i can advise much in pve since you can pots.in pvp its best to switch to mana pets like nexus,mccraw or even valkin when its safe to refill mana.or make use the mana pack at flag base which means you gotta move swift and rejoin your team.

Ive shared my way of dealing with mages and tanks in other threads.for mage either you faat enough by killing him first with a charged aimed and shadow pierce (before a shield is cast).or dropping packs first and reheal when you are first stunned and shield casted.save your attacks for few sec bfore tapping aimed normal sp or charge normal to stun tap aimed tap nox or any of the offensive skills combo (without charging).mages are defensless once the shield is off.

As for tank this season dmg does not necessarily win.as tank has an almost equally painful dmg and you couldnt keep up with tgeir high hp and armour.one thing i notice is mana drain for rogue so i use nexus for fight.a rogue can sustain the match if they can drop packs more than once.its best to drop packs and move around it while being hit.with tank slightly lower response you have time to charge your attacks to bring down their hp.

Jack would be my choice of pet for a warr fight

I personally would charge normal attack hoping for stun success.many things can be done once your opponent are stunned.for pve i go with maximizing dmg all the way i.e chargng aimed first.
    Same same

I must say thanks people. Things are lil bit easier now Just few things more. About the trap. How long does it last (since I havent it yet)

There is not really a specfic time, maybe 6-8sec seeing as the CD time is 10sec

and, how to pull all the mobs in the trap doesnt pull it by itself with those 20% chance?

when a mob walks over the trap it triggers, the trap lashes out and does it thing, sometimes you get lucky with the pull sometimes not.

Plus it has small range. How to do that? Run around and when mobs are in the trap just spam basic attack+AS+nox? Isnt there a high chance of dying?

If you're a phone user this may be really har unless you of 3 hands. You'll need to run, spam pots and spam aimed and nox. Or you could do as I do. Spam pots while standing INSIDE the mob then throw traps as they have cd. Then there wouldn't be as much 3-hands-skill

And yeah. How do you deal with low mana? PVE it's kinda "ok" since we have pots, but for PVP?

This is tricky, even for a good rouges, but all I can give as advice is save your AS and noxes, learn to shoot them accordingly, learn to ks more instead of going head first, which is what we have done until this season. Otherwise there is always a good pet like Nexus, I prefer Nexus because it doesn't make me feel 'nude' it gives me a bit if HP and DEX + mana regen

Last question (I guess haha), how you fight vs those stun mages or warriors? Open with aimed shot, then nox then piercer and throw charged packs or?

Mage: Throw packs, charge auto attack for stun, charge nx when they cast shield, then charge aim and do a tap normal attack-tap nox-tap normal attack-tap aim-tap normal-tap aim attack and they dead. Ofc pick up packs on the way. Also pierce if the mage gets close to you, which is most likely what they'll do

Warr: Charged auto attack (auto and normal attack is the same) for stun, then do aim nox piercer combos using jack when your mana is down to half, throw CHARGED packs when your hp is slightly down maybe at 70% (ofc having self heal upgrade in packs) then aim nox piercer repeat until his dead. If you run out o mana stun him until Jack has cd.

Whops one more question. Which skills are reccomended to charge before attack? Both in PVE and PVP.
    Thanks once again
    I'm not exactly sure I understand the last question, but if you absolutely want to harge something it's...

PvP: Aimed shot! Nox sometimes in huge clashes

PvE Don't charge your damaging attacks, what I mean here is only charge veil and trap

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Soundlesskill For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soundlesskill View Post
    Same same

I'm not exactly sure I understand the last question, but if you absolutely want to harge something it's...

PvP: Aimed shot! Nox sometimes in huge clashes

PvE Don't charge your damaging attacks, what I mean here is only charge veil and trap
    Aight mate. Thanks for everythin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chorba69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Aight mate. Thanks for everythin
    No problemooo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

1. Noxious Bolt:

2. Entagling Trap:
    It's pve only, right?

3. Shadow Piercer:

Thanks in advance.
    You have a lot of answers already but I wanted to chime in with my perspectives as well. I have been an outside of the box thinker here... I find everyone's opinion to be valid and I appreciate everyone having a different style of play and thus providing so much feedback that this Chorba will have the opportunity to form his/her own playstyle. I will specifically address the Trap skill:

Traps:
    Yes, Traps are PVE only, using them in PVP for anything other than flagging would be ineffective.
    Here's what's so good about traps:
    They have a very low mana:dmg ratio - they're damage output is staggering in large groups of mobs, and because of the 20% adept construction, law of averages says that the cooldown time is 20% less than actuality.
    They act as a very effective means of crowd control, especially when combined with ice, clocks, slag, flapjack, or any other AOE stun / Root effect. In fact - even a Warrior can add stun if they spec Skyward Smash or whatever it's called with the stun proc.
    Because they group mobs of closely, your daggers will be striking 3 targets at all times and or your nox bolt's AOE (6 target limit) won't go to waste.

Anyway - I hope I was able to answer your question about Traps, and provide a different insight to it than some of our peers here have.

Also - never charge traps, there is no benefit for doing so.

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

If there's ability to charge it should always be greater damage output.

I like to charge the first then just lay down the rest with a single tap (seeing as you get lucky and no cd) repeat after cd is off