Yeah the fire gems scale up, so until I collect the billion trillion finesse gems needed to craft anything worthwhile I'm sticking with them lol. 72hp per excellent nature jewel is good in my opinion, I have .. 4.. I think. It does mean sacrificing more damage or crit but as many others have said you can't deal dmg when you're dead are you lvl 46? If so, I recommend doing the dailies to get the orc tags, and farming the new maps for insignia (currently ~ 23k each) which drop from the bosses. You can do the Orcslaying gear quest or just sell the insignias til you're better geared. Also farm jewels there; I keep the finesse and chaos and sell and fury, mind (~5k each) or diamond jewels. Any nature jewels I get in any map I keep and craft as well. Since you're low on mana you could craft water jewels too, they drop heaps and are also dirt cheap in the auction. An excellent water jewel gives 72 mana.

I use the Terra bow of brut, foragers armor of brut (scavenger is cheaper and only marginally worse though, like 1 stat point) and padded cap of pot, prospectors amulet of pot as well. I recommend getting any belt you can afford and working your way up (cheapest is around 250k I think). Keep a regular eye on the auctions as sometimes things go for cheap. Ursoth is starting tomorrow so check the announcement page which will list all the gear you can get from the event; some will be available for tokens (i.e. free) and during the event itself the other gear will be cheap too. Don't buy it straight away though, wait til later in the event or just after it.

There should be at least 2 pets easily available during the event, at least one of which should be really good. Are you familiar with events? The pet reward for reaching gold tier is always awesome and again, free. My best non-arcane pets all come from events

Do you need a guild? If so you're welcome to join Insane Asylem. We'll be quite active over the event. Send me a friend request tewheke or carmineblade