Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Upcoming Change to Skills: Global Cool-Down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I support this change because 1: if that really will minimise the lag problem (i've never played this game under 300 ping and im from syndey), it will be great for this WORLDWIDE game.

2: With this change, there will require more tatics and skills in dungeon. I can imagine the must exist of a tank(bear), mage transfer from nuke into more concentrate on heal and archer should be the best DPSer.

And i don't see how this gonna delay the time we clear mobs. for a standard group example, 1 bear, 2 mages and 2 birds. Bear run into first taunt,beckon,hellscream and stomp,that all will cost 2secs(assuming 0.5 GCD), bird run in put thorn wall,shatter scream,blast shot,that all will cost 2-2.5secs(0.5-1secs spent on catching up with bear), and 1mage run in put lightning icenova and firestorm while the other mage run in put weakness lightning and heal or damage depends on situation.
    The whole attack combo will cost 2-2.5secs in total and that will wipe out at least 10 groups on mobs for sure.
    If everyone in group cooperate well and cast the right skills in the right time in stead of spamming, there shouldn't be a delay in clearing mobs at all. The only siganificant change i can imagine is the introduction of a bear existance. Yes, MMORPG need a tank and a tank is a must have, but PL doesn't get that point well in the past.

For the boss fight, yes, it will be delayed quite a bit and more importantly, bear will lose aggro control for sure unless only bear put a damage pot on him.
    DEVS need to make bear skills generate aggro, ie: beckon can generate extra aggro, taunt will work 100% if it didn't miss, dodge the target and make one of the slash has a chance to taunt target.

Any way, nice change and this game is more and more like WOW i hope it won't go too far and lost its oringinal idea: POCKET!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

this=fail.
    SLUSHIE - PROUD MEMBER OF REVELATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

IMO, this update will be extremely major and will impact the whole game. New pvp strategies must be made and pve will just be different all over. And NO to cooldown for pots.
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8743/cerealsigpicfinal.png
    Signature Credits: Rebel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    This means that you will no longer be able to execute all of your skills at exactly the same time. (i.e. no more "Skill Spamming") All of your characters' skills will have a brief cool-down period after any skill is executed.
    Won't that make playing a bit harder? Like what if I wanted to use nightmare and weakness at the same time?

PokechmpLV53 AnubbydudeLV16
    To66: [||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||] | Proud leader of Zer0 | If you decide not to do the right thing, then you are deciding to do wrong -Pokechmp

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pokechmp View Post
    Won't that make playing a bit harder? Like what if I wanted to use nightmare and weakness at the same time?
    That is part of the debate here.

They will adjust accordingly so that the game is still enjoyable and not too hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that I see an estimated time of cool-down that you're testing, 0.50 seconds, it sounds fine. I was thinking the cool down would be at least a full second.

- Adam
    Araketan - Level 56 Dex Bird
    Uimacaz - Level 55 Int Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Major dislike. That's going to throw off all our combos....and also wreck about a billion twinking builds people have built over time. Unless you're going to give us plat/free respecs....
    Kobebean-Lvl 55, Evanturner-Lvl 50, YunaofSpira-Lvl 35, TidusofSpira-Lvl 35, AndreIguodala-Lvl 35, Deronwilliams-Lvl 35, RickyRubio-Lvl 32
    Blackstar: LebronJames, DwayneWade, ChrisBosh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kobebean View Post
    Major dislike. That's going to throw off all our combos....and also wreck about a billion twinking builds people have built over time. Unless you're going to give us plat/free respecs....
    No necessary. They will tweak DPS and mob health to compensate. They are testing this atm and after they apply it we are going to test it and give our opinions. It is a .5 sec which can be a lot but if they do the right amount of tweaks it may be worth it. Also make PVP more challenging since right now all it takes is who mashes the combos faster (iPads almost always will win). I just hope they don't give the global cooldown to buffs and healing spells. This could be bad for all classes.
    Sig by KLEMEN
    IGN: E͡ℭ͟ӈҿͥ͜lͣoͫղg level 56 Mega Mage/Sewer mage ~ EchelongX lvl 55 Dex Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still changes strategy in PVP by... a lot. Especially for counter-warbird, counter-int mage, and anything designed to actually withstand the nuking....My god, Deronwilliams is going to be useless. I would want free respecs at least.
    Kobebean-Lvl 55, Evanturner-Lvl 50, YunaofSpira-Lvl 35, TidusofSpira-Lvl 35, AndreIguodala-Lvl 35, Deronwilliams-Lvl 35, RickyRubio-Lvl 32

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kobebean View Post
    Still changes strategy in PVP by... a lot. Especially for counter-warbird, counter-int mage, and anything designed to actually withstand the nuking....My god, Deronwilliams is going to be useless. I would want free respecs at least.
    I think this is one of the main reasons for this change. You will still be able to nuke just not in less than 1 sec.
    Sig by KLEMEN
    IGN: E͡ℭ͟ӈҿͥ͜lͣoͫղg level 56 Mega Mage/Sewer mage ~ EchelongX lvl 55 Dex Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Part of being a good player is being able to react fast. I strongly disagree with this respec and feel that this will lead to a deskilling in this aspect of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Echelong View Post
    I think this is one of the main reasons for this change. You will still be able to nuke just not in less than 1 sec.
    I meant as in my characters are all designed to withstand the nuke...built to stop it....and now anyone will be able to....waste of design.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I just like the idea because it will remove lag. Guys, I have a feeling that things will be better after this. They will most likely beef up skills damage to compensate for the spell timing.

So there are 12 spells, at 0.5 seconds cool down per spell, you can cast the entire spell book in 6 seconds. So you can cast 120 spells a minute, and 600 spells in 5 minutes. That still seems plenty powerful to me.

Also people are not considering the other variables involved in this. - Players normally don't cast spells while they run, and large portions of the dungeon is running. Then the other variable is the time it takes to tap a spell, lift and move your finger to another spell, and tap it. It will still be a little bit of wait since it doesn't take 0.5 seconds of a second to move a finger, but you wont be actually waiting 0.5 since there is a small delay in finger movement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jiroununu View Post
    I support this change because 1: if that really will minimise the lag problem (i've never played this game under 300 ping and im from syndey), it will be great for this WORLDWIDE game.

2: With this change, there will require more tatics and skills in dungeon. I can imagine the must exist of a tank(bear), mage transfer from nuke into more concentrate on heal and archer should be the best DPSer.

And i don't see how this gonna delay the time we clear mobs. for a standard group example, 1 bear, 2 mages and 2 birds. Bear run into first taunt,beckon,hellscream and stomp,that all will cost 2secs(assuming 0.5 GCD), bird run in put thorn wall,shatter scream,blast shot,that all will cost 2-2.5secs(0.5-1secs spent on catching up with bear), and 1mage run in put lightning icenova and firestorm while the other mage run in put weakness lightning and heal or damage depends on situation.
    The whole attack combo will cost 2-2.5secs in total and that will wipe out at least 10 groups on mobs for sure.
    If everyone in group cooperate well and cast the right skills in the right time in stead of spamming, there shouldn't be a delay in clearing mobs at all. The only siganificant change i can imagine is the introduction of a bear existance. Yes, MMORPG need a tank and a tank is a must have, but PL doesn't get that point well in the past.

1: my ping is 50-200 - usually ~120
    2: what you're depicting is very nice, albeit in theory only. The only situations this would work, is that you would be playing only with teammates you know, and each one of them knows each other's tactics. Which means, that you would barely be able to play in pub games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    So there are 12 spells, at 0.5 seconds cool down per spell, you can cast the entire spell book in 6 seconds. So you can cast 120 spells a minute, and 600 spells in 5 minutes. That still seems plenty powerful to me.

Also people are not considering the other variables involved in this. - Players normally don't cast spells while they run, and large portions of the dungeon is running. Then the other variable is the time it takes to tap a spell, lift and move your finger to another spell, and tap it. It will still be a little bit of wait since it doesn't take 0.5 seconds of a second to move a finger, but you wont be actually waiting 0.5 since there is a small delay in finger movement.
    1: remember that players usually have self-buffs and debuffs, and these need to be on most of the time, which actually reduces your spellbook to ~8 spells, which in turn, reduces your window of opportunity.
    2: I'm not writing about button mashing, but in certain situations, you really need to tap fast (stronghold, swill, roach). Believe me, reaction times are less than 0.5s in these cases.
    Here's some reading regarding the matter: http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/...time/stats.php
    you can test yourself here: http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/...time/index.php

In which case, if your reaction is a combo, this means that 0.2s is actually for your combo, not 1 press.

In that case, the GC should NOT BE MORE than 0.2s.
    IGN: adwinp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Make buffs last longer especially self buffs. constant self buffing is a pain.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I have a feeling the devs will make some sort of system for buffs/debuffs and healing. These should not be restricted, since often are needed on a moments notice. Gold Fever is a must for instant spells, because when a pure int mage gets the fever, the mage needs to BOV and MS up or else they get one shotted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

@adwin

0.2 is about the speed people tap at regularly...
    imo it should be 0.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kossi View Post
    @adwin

0.2 is about the speed people tap at regularly...
    imo it should be 0.5
    Agreed, try this if you still think 0.5 is too long.

Take a stop watch - most phones have a stop watch app built in - and every 0.5 of a second, tap on something. I gurentee you will start to fall behind because the 0.5 comes a lot faster then you would expect.

Then try 0.2, I pretty much was tapping as fast as I could to keep up. 0.2 is too little.

Quote Originally Posted by adwin View Post
    In that case, the GC should NOT BE MORE than 0.2s.
    I just ran the tests, my fastest reactions were over 0.2 seconds. So that means it would cool down before I even press again? That would do nothing, cuz I could still button jam the same.
    Last edited by Pharcyde; 03-12-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

@Kossi & @Pharcyde
    I'll have to disagree

1: if 0.2s is the speed ppl usually tap (instead of in just dire situations), they must suffer from hyperactivity lol
    My taps are 0.5s-1.0s apart, and pick up the pace when there's a big and/or threatening swarm.

2: you can't take 0.5s as a base (argumenting the falling behind).
    Most of the time, you're planning your run in advance. You see the map, you know where the mob is and what you have to do, you just need to do it fast.
    If you want to convince me that 0.5s is enough, do the following:

- start a raid roach, swill pitz or stronghold game.
    - go to the highest concentration of mob/fire goblins (especially in the big, square rooms before the boss), try to play aggressively (stay in front of the group) while keeping a 0.5s delay among your skills. I guarantee you that the goblins will get you no matter how you plan out your skills (while keeping the simulated delay).

IF there has to ba a GC, it's 0.2s, nothing more. Then again, the devs could probably make different delays for pve and pvp.
    IGN: adwinp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I can tap 10 skills in like 1.5 secs adwin... And lone is still faster
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!