Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Moving to New York!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    lol, I totally understand. Oh, and don't forget to do your fafsa. Go to FAFSA.ed.gov and you can fill out your fafsa and check that you're interested in work study. Depending on how much your family makes, how many live in your household, etc, you might qualify for cash aid to go to school and you might even be able to get a job at the school you go to. How cool would it be to go to school in NY, get paid to go to school AND work at the school you're attending?

I run the career center at a continuation high school so if you have any ???'s feel free to ask
    My friend told me about doing that, I'll fill it out in the next few days.

I don't plan on leaving for about 2 weeks. I have a couple things I gotta take care of before leaving. Waiting for my replacement ID to come in the mail, telling people goodbye, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Junside View Post
    People will warn against taking a risk like this but a part of me says what good is life if you never get to do the stuff you want to?

Maybe he really wants to go to NY. I won't argue against recommending to finish schooling first.

But we always feel better doing what we want to do. Maybe he's willing to accept all his responsibilities if something goes wrong or gets difficult. Maybe it's a search for independence.
    I agree. Being young has its advantage - if you screw up you can always start over. Keep in mind that you should always have a back-up plan, something to fall back on if things don't work out. Life is short, play hard!
    Daijue - Level 51 Archer | Minyeungjai - Level 52 Enchantress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaiJue View Post
    I agree. Being young has its advantage - if you screw up you can always start over. Keep in mind that you should always have a back-up plan, something to fall back on if things don't work out. Life is short, play hard!
    Just gonna live life as it plays out for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's so much to do in New York, I don't know what to do first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Caccavari View Post
    There's so much to do in New York, I don't know what to do first.
    Depends when you get here.

http://www.yelp.com/events/manhattan...bq-block-party

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be in New York in 2 weeks or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

I've been looking up hella stuff about New York, mainly reading blogs.

I read about this guy who goes out to different subways looking for Metrocards people leave laying around because of the low balance or just losing them. He has found a crazy amount of metrocards, it's pretty awesome.
    lol that's crazy. But eh... in these times, I wouldn't blame him.

First, you gotta learn our slang. We don't say "hella". That's west coast. We say "mad" and "son"

Like "Yo son what's good" Some may use the N word derivative ending in "-a"

"That's mad expensive!" (That's very expensive), "That's mad crazy!", "You mad weird"

Haha but this is just the hip hop part of town. Not all of us talk like this, but it rolls off the tongue well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read about this guy who goes out to different subways looking for Metrocards people leave laying around because of the low balance or just losing them. He has found a crazy amount of metrocards, it's pretty awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Same post as previous?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same post as previous?
    No clue what happened. That's mad weird. Haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

No clue what happened. That's mad weird. Haha.
    You're getting it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the things I wanted to do was get a library card. It doesn't seem like I will be able to though for a while until I can prove I live, work or go to school in New York.

Any ways around this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

We don't say "hella". That's west coast.
    Any time I travel, even within California, people know I'm from Northern California because I say Hella. The funny thing is I'm 34 and I've been saying it since I was about 11. Hella (lol) funny that that word hasn't died in all these years!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    Any time I travel, even within California, people know I'm from Northern California because I say Hella. The funny thing is I'm 34 and I've been saying it since I was about 11. Hella (lol) funny that that word hasn't died in all these years!
    I don't say it often but I still hear it a lot everywhere I go or every game I play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the things I wanted to do was get a library card. It doesn't seem like I will be able to though for a while until I can prove I live, work or go to school in New York.

Any ways around this?
    Unfortunately I don't think there is a way around it.
    Last edited by DaiJue; 04-29-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Stupid double negative!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately I don't think there is no way around it.
    That does suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone have an idea of what I could do when I first arrive?

Also, is there a calendar for events happening? (Or website of some sort)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

www.bloomberg.com

www.newyorktimes.com

www.citylimits.org/events

www.nyc-arts.org

Or look in the local paper.

Also, we have bipolar weather here. It was really warm out(like 70 degrees) a few days ago. Today it's 50.

You got a smartphone. It'll be really handy since you'll be new here.

Most bars(usually sports bars) that are open during the day in the city don't really check ID unless you look really young. Worst case, they'll politely refuse you drinks.

Check out SOHO.

8th ave (or somewhere around there.) is Gay/Lesbian attraction, meaning you'll see a lot of gay sexual-orient people chilling in the area. I was walking with my girl towards Central Park and we happened to walk down and noticed something different. It's interesting to explore all places, so I'm not saying avoid this area.

Take a trip to the Statue of Liberty.

As long as it's not rush hour, people should be friendly. Tourists are easy to spot. Usually wearing clothes to be most comfortable, a camera around their neck, etc.

Talk to the people serving at hot dog stands. They're actually really cool and they know the area so ask them anything.

Watch some Broadway plays. I think The Phantom of the Opera is still running. Always interesting. There's going to be a Spider-Man Broadway performance opening soon too.

All these may be costly. I'm sure if you look through the internet, you could find free attractions and events. Some people even give out promotional tickets to Mets and Yankees games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.bloomberg.com

www.newyorktimes.com

www.citylimits.org/events

www.nyc-arts.org

Or look in the local paper.

Also, we have bipolar weather here. It was really warm out(like 70 degrees) a few days ago. Today it's 50.

You got a smartphone. It'll be really handy since you'll be new here.

Most bars(usually sports bars) that are open during the day in the city don't really check ID unless you look really young. Worst case, they'll politely refuse you drinks.

Check out SOHO.

8th ave (or somewhere around there.) is Gay/Lesbian attraction, meaning you'll see a lot of gay sexual-orient people chilling in the area. I was walking with my girl towards Central Park and we happened to walk down and noticed something different. It's interesting to explore all places, so I'm not saying avoid this area.

Take a trip to the Statue of Liberty.

As long as it's not rush hour, people should be friendly. Tourists are easy to spot. Usually wearing clothes to be most comfortable, a camera around their neck, etc.

Talk to the people serving at hot dog stands. They're actually really cool and they know the area so ask them anything.

Watch some Broadway plays. I think The Phantom of the Opera is still running. Always interesting. There's going to be a Spider-Man Broadway performance opening soon too.

All these may be costly. I'm sure if you look through the internet, you could find free attractions and events. Some people even give out promotional tickets to Mets and Yankees games.
    I don't have a computer right now. I haven't found myself in need of one. I will invest in a laptop/netbook or maybe a tablet soon. I really would like a Nook Color now with Android OS enabled. I do everything from my smartphone. (Rooted Droid 1)

I wanna go to some sport bars and get some drinks, that'd be awesome. Here, IDs are always checked.

The really confusing thing right away is going to be the diffrent areas of Manhattan. There's so many of them it seems, West Upper side, East Upper side, Greenwich Village, SOHO, I can't name anymore. I can imagine when getting to or finding new places Yelp! and the Navagation on my phone will be useful.

What exactly is SOHO anyways?

I'm going to visit just about every place I possibly can. Do you need a bike permit in Manhattan? I saw something on a website about it, I was a bit confused though as to whether it was for an event or used daily. I'm thinking of getting a cheap bike when I get there, I've actually seen a few free ones on Craigslist. On another note, people seem to lose a ton of things in New York (pets, jewerly, electronics). I saw some crazy stuff when I clicked on Lost & Found section by accident.

I plan on investing in a camera eventually, it seems like lots of funny, cool, weird, gross things happen in New York. I'd like to capture mostly everything I can.

I've read there's 171 Starbucks in Manhattan. That's insane. The article wasn't the most up-to-date so I bet there's more now.

How much are trips to the Statue of Liberty?
    Last edited by Wicked Caccavari; 04-30-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Change of plans.

I was going to wait another 2 weeks to leave but I plan on leaving this Monday (05/02/11). As long as everythiing goes as planned, I'd be on a time crunch possibly. If I am on a time crunch, I'll make a judgement call and if I am then I'll leave Tuesday.