Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding Auto Mutes and Auto Bans for Offensive or Vulgar Chat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyday and today is no exception some player is cussing in chat using abbreviated cuss words. Today one player was extremely vulgar. I reported him. You wonder why Devs wont publish the word list. Its because players like this Guy would use the list and find another way of being vulgar. The current chat system is needed to keep the chat clean. There is no reason and no excuse for cussing in a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

Ok... Seriously can I get a list of words that will get me muted? I will confirm that I am of concenting age for this list but can I please? I mean come on man.... I have been muted 3times and all for lame words that are 100% excepted by the FCC... Why not here? I mean these are words that can be broadcast across our radios to anyone capable of turning a nob on... But I cant say it in game? The first word I said was damn, which has sense been removed from the list. As for the second the only thing I recall is how annoying it is to be muted for no reason.... But this 3 time was for saying "shiznit"! Really?!? I never thought this to be a bad word and took the liberty to look it up..... So here you go :-)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/iphon...=the%20shiznit

Devs can we have this word removed please?
    Thanks

Ok I hope this took 5minutes to post so I can get back to the game :-)
    Last edited by TANKKAAR; 05-01-2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Spelling...lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Why did I just get muted?

To be honest this is starting to get really annoying. I'm afraid of talking in my own language now.

I was just explaining about mage gear in my native language, while in the middle of the conversation I got muted

I read back what I said, but can't for the world see what I said wrong.

Below I included the screenshots:

I've asked it before, and will ask it here again. Please provide some kind of locked list that especially foreigners like me can take a look at. This is the second time I got muted for using a word in my native language. The other word was 'douche', which means 'shower' in Dutch.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Ow cmon! Got muted again!!

I'll soon be banned for speaking in my native language

U rok, thanks!

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

i got muted for saying bugger lol i was like "found the last of those little buggers" then got muted grrrrr

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is getting a bit ridiculous. Perfect examples above. Too bad we couldn't just rely on common decency and mutual respect.
    But seriously devs...is auto mute saving you any time/resources or have they just shifted to fielding appeals related to auto-mute/ban?
    I know this is a work in progress. I also know there is much more work to be done with this program before it can be called fair.

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

muting just makes people more irritated at pl haha im just sayin by expirience

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by karmakali View Post
    This is getting a bit ridiculous. Perfect examples above. Too bad we couldn't just rely on common decency and mutual respect.
    But seriously devs...is auto mute saving you any time/resources or have they just shifted to fielding appeals related to auto-mute/ban?
    I know this is a work in progress. I also know there is much more work to be done with this program before it can be called fair.
    Couldn't agree more. I also informed them via mail... Again. I'm sure they'll get dozens, if not more, mails like this every day. I don't really see how auto-muting would result in less overhead in the end. It only causes unnecessary frustration IMO. When I went back in the game, I continued my conversation in English... With a Dutch guy it makes me feel kind of unwelcome, when I can't even speak in my native language. This is just wrong IMO. People that know me, know that I'm always very helpful and polite. I never swear or use faul language in any way. I'm 39 and want PL to be a fun and decent place for young kids. But I start to be afraid of even talking to someone now. I don't even want to think about the auto-ban system. If I'd just go on talking in my native language, even in the most polite way possible, I'm bound to get auto-banned very soon.

That being said, it's still a work in progress and I'm sure some solution will be sought after. I just would hate to get banned because of just helping people with answering their questions

Can someone please tell me, in the screenshots I posted a couple of posts back, what was said that is mute-worthy?

My English is considered really good, but I can't, for the love of it, find what word could have resulted in a mute.

I will keep this post updated with any mail-reply I would get back from STS about this all.
    Last edited by JaytB; 05-01-2011 at 02:51 PM.

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

My guess would be "iS HET." but yeah, that's really stretching it.

Edit: N/m that wasn't even you.

I've no clue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

make a damn list of the words..

its sad I can say curse words such as ***, b***h, p***y, and other sorts with out getting, then you say minge? and muted? wtf is minge? and i said the flag was snatched and got muted...

what kind of words are you using as ban words? specify it or take the damn thing off
    .. Lvl 55 Faryia (Pally)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

A possible solution could be that each user can specify his native language once (when it's not English). When saying a mutable word, the system searches for that word in a simple dictionary. Even better would be to search for that words' meaning, to know if it's a bad word or not. But this would be nearly impossible because of all the languages out there. So, when the word is found in the specific dictionary, the user gets 'flagged' but not muted. Devs can then Extract what the offending word was, and add it to the allowed/mutable list for that specific language.

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They wont give out the list cause people will look for an abbreviation for each word.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I tend to chat a lot and try to help new players when I can but I'm concerned about making a typo or saying something that I don't realize is banned and getting muted. I've noticed that my chat will get muted when I don't expect it. For example if I say "see the Free Plat button? Push it to get your free platinum." Part of that would get filtered. Does the auto mute system suffer from the same problem as the chat filter? Am I going to get banned while trying to help players? I'm concerned especially if they won't understand why I'm not saying anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atila the nun View Post
    I tend to chat a lot and try to help new players when I can but I'm concerned about making a typo or saying something that I don't realize is banned and getting muted. I've noticed that my chat will get muted when I don't expect it. For example if I say "see the Free Plat button? Push it to get your free platinum." Part of that would get filtered. Does the auto mute system suffer from the same problem as the chat filter? Am I going to get banned while trying to help players? I'm concerned especially if they won't understand why I'm not saying anything.
    I think its cause you said "push it"

Proud Member of AEO (PL) and Sparkling Pwnies (SL)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the desk of Bleecker,

I have not read through all of the comments and for this I apologize if my issue has been covered. I am having trouble understanding why someone (me) was muted for saying "coon and friends" referring to a few South Park episodes while playing with mntberrychrunch yet we will allow folks to have screen names such as pktpuzzy and pekkahead. Can anyone answer this for me please?

Thanks,

Bleecker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pennsco1999 View Post
    someone (me) was muted for saying "coon and friends"
    The term c**n has racist connotations, it is used in derogatory sense to refer to black people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
    The term c**n has racist connotations, it is used in derogatory sense to refer to black people.
    Since you have the answer, can you explain to me why i can say "Token" and not be muted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pennsco1999 View Post
    Since you have the answer, can you explain to me why i can say "Token" and not be muted
    It seems to me a less racist word, "token" is more a refer to a stereotypical character because its ethnic group than a derogatory term. But maybe I'm wrong, the "bad words list" is a work in progress and I cannot say if in the future the devs will decide to add "token" to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
    It seems to me a less racist word, "token" is more a refer to a stereotypical character because its ethnic group than a derogatory term. But maybe I'm wrong, the "bad words list" is a work in progress and I cannot say if in the future the devs will decide to add "token" to it.
    So then pktpuzzy is good to go as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok I got muted for saying absolutely no swear words not even 1 that resembled a swear word. I think I needs some ajusting to where if u only say the real word and not something close, I understand there's kids playing this totaly awsome game, I have 3 kids of my own. But what r the chances of easing up on the muteing. I don't wanna get band for not swearing I've paid a nice chunk of rl money, not that's I mind its a great game and cheaper than everquest. Just don't want to be band for doing nothing wrong