Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rename my toons for me guys! Need ideas! Contest :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Level 10 bear to Packamule :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Awsomebirdd awsomebearr awsometwinkk awsomemagee idk lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

How about ADTFight? Solves our annoying problem of some arbitrary person reporting acronyms to mean something they DO NOT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

1. Kaaratake
    2. Moogerfoogr
    3. Apolllo
    3. Sayycred
    4. Chrysysy
    5. JustH
    6. Crimsoontider
    7. Woundedbeagle
    8. Oreiiiiiii
    9. Hallamance
    10. Wowboooms
    11. FluffInStuff
    12. Lovevenus
    13. Xwhirlzzzzz
    14. Attackelff
    15. Dollloway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    Just calling it like I see it, urbandictionary is used by millions of people and it's voted on so if the definition doesn't fit it has more negatives than positives. I've not heard the term used except in popular media outlets and it meant what the website in question has stated and had nothing to do with fighting or dying. The devs can and have done this simply because the game is aimed at children and it is in their best interest not to let this one slide. It shouldn't matter who has the name or how popular they are within any game related community. It's nothing personal, just business.
    I've never heard of the acronym meaning anything other than what DTF told me when I asked him. As for urbandictionary, have you ever just randomly looked word up there? They are mostly about inappropriate things for children. Me, DTF, the dev, the admin, nor you can police what children do. It is thier parents who should be discussing inappropriate content and instructing them on how to understand it. Those parents could filter what their cildren are viewing in their homes. It's called a proxy. I set them up for business owners who do not want their employees/patrons viewing inappropriate material at their establishment. Are you sure this game is geared towards children? How many children do you know that buy hordes of plat? Oh, you need to be 18 to have a credit card....interesting. STS's target market is plat buyers, and any filtering IMHO is bad. Now I'm willing to put up with filtering of some kind and go along with it, but possibly ruining someones alter ego, their release from life, their legend of being at the top of the pvp/ctf mountain is wrong. If you ruin pvp/ctf you ruin a very important niche in this game and stripping the top tourny organizer of his name is wrong!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cytokinesis View Post
    1. Kaaratake
    My name is Kaaarataka

ahhhhhh now I see what you're doing...... so eViL......stay off my name =D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Bearlydtf = Dtfdamage, Thrash, Sylent

Dtfbaby = Dtfcharm, Vietree, Velfarre

Dtfxrose = Saphar, Colbalt, Fatallight

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaarataka View Post
    I've never heard of the acronym meaning anything other than what DTF told me when I asked him. As for urbandictionary, have you ever just randomly looked word up there? They are mostly about inappropriate things for children. Me, DTF, the dev, the admin, nor you can police what children do. It is thier parents who should be discussing inappropriate content and instructing them on how to understand it. Those parents could filter what their cildren are viewing in their homes. It's called a proxy. I set them up for business owners who do not want their employees/patrons viewing inappropriate material at their establishment. Are you sure this game is geared towards children? How many children do you know that buy hordes of plat? Oh, you need to be 18 to have a credit card....interesting. STS's target market is plat buyers, and any filtering IMHO is bad. Now I'm willing to put up with filtering of some kind and go along with it, but possibly ruining someones alter ego, their release from life, their legend of being at the top of the pvp/ctf mountain is wrong. If you ruin pvp/ctf you ruin a very important niche in this game and stripping the top tourny organizer of his name is wrong!
    Is there a particular reason you're making this personal? I see because you never heard of it, that means it doesn't exist! As for urbandictionary, sure there are some childish things that get placed on there but if one abbreviation only has one meaning that is repeated over and over again then perhaps that is how the general public views it, whether you got the memo or not. Sure words and letters can mean anything to the originator but when a term has a negative stigma placed on it, there is really no avoiding the connotation that is placed with it.

The game is childlike in nature along with the things like chat filter and having to tell players not to give out their account information makes me think STS does believe that children do play the game and wants to make it a safer environment for them. I understand the concept of who should police children, but STS does have a responsibility as well. There is no rating system in place for games like this, no warning about adult content so a situation could arise where legal action could be perused against the company and this is perhaps just a way to get in front of that. There are plenty of videogames in the world and who has the money… parents. Is Mickey’s epic adventure aimed at the target audience with the money or the children who ask their parents to buy it? Perhaps I am using the term children too loosely, I mean those not of legal age i.e. under 18.

And for the fame that DTF has amassed, it's a sad state that someone so prominent in the community has to let go of their moniker but how many other options are there really? It's called damage control.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 10-15-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Bearlydtf Level 10 Bear - Notatwinky, Donteattwinky, Bearlyatwink

Dtfbaby Level 21 Mage - Babyterrorist (If this doesn't fit do: Babyterorist), Alwaysababy, Babyeatwinky

Dtfxrose Level 35 Mage - Alwaysamage, Isthisamage, Amianarcher

IGN:
    Swimmingstar, Farmerstar, Archerrebel
    Last edited by Swimmingstar; 10-19-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    Is there a particular reason you're making this personal? I see because you never heard of it, that means it doesn't exist! As for urbandictionary, sure there are some childish things that get placed on there but if one abbreviation only has one meaning that is repeated over and over again then perhaps that is how the general public views it, whether you got the memo or not. Sure words and letters can mean anything to the originator but when a term has a negative stigma placed on it, there is really no avoiding the connotation that is placed with it.
    It's personal because DTF has been a good friend for some time. He has also made his name and guild synonymous with elite. Since he has had this name for a very long time I fail to see why the devs all of a sudden decide it is inappropriate. No one gave me a memo and I also asked as many RL people what dtf stands for in my comings and goings today. You know what? None of them knew. I asked over 20 people and not one has any idea what DTF stands for. Acronyms can mean anything. Let them stand for what YOU want them to stand for.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaarataka For This Useful Post:

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaarataka View Post
    It's personal because DTF has been a good friend for some time. He has also made his name and guild synonymous with elite. Since he has had this name for a very long time I fail to see why the devs all of a sudden decide it is inappropriate. No one gave me a memo and I also asked as many RL people what dtf stands for in my comings and goings today. You know what? None of them knew. I asked over 20 people and not one has any idea what DTF stands for. Acronyms can mean anything. Let them stand for what YOU want them to stand for.
    Ok, I get that you're going to bat for DTF and it’s honorable and I wish you luck. Here are the facts as I see them:
    • Asking random people if they know something doesn't help you case if they have no idea, simply because one isn't in the loop is a horrible defense. Plenty of people don't know what gtl stands for because they don't watch Jersey Shore, but if they do, then they know aka (also known as, so there is no confusion) ignorance is bliss.
    • The amount of time it took for STS to become aware of the negative aspect of the name shouldn't be in question. Devs are busy, players report inappropriate names for this reason and DTF probably recently hit the quota for the devs to give it a look and take action.
    • Changing the name isn't going to change the player. It's a minor annoyance at best, the guild will still be known for being elite, the skills will put DTF squarely back on top of the pile, ultimately the ign will just be forgotten and talked about as rumor or legend (much like Lone).
    • You can't change the meaning of something that is already established simply because you want to. Idk when dtf came into existence as the acronym it is today, but one cannot take something and turn it into their own personal saying (unless you're a celeb). I cannot coin a phrase and make it my own, lol means laugh(ing) out loud, well I decided today that it means little old lady and so I'm going to use it as such, "I did it for the lols... because they needed help crossing the street" think anyone will get my meaning? As I understand it you know what dtf means to the player simply because you were told by the individual using the abbreviation, the general public did not have that pleasure so they are unaware of that particular meaning. Now, DTF has celeb status so perhaps playing that card is best: Paris Hilton: "That's hot," Gluttony: *places hand on stove* "That's hot!"

I know that this is a meaningful cause to you, but there are two sides to every story and STS has their reasons. Sorry if you don't get them, but they make perfect sense to me. You're not going to lose a friend in the end thanks to these actions, DTF seems to be rolling with the punches and not hanging up the gloves so if anything your passion in this fight will solidify the bond you two have; GL in your endeavor.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 10-15-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

I've understood your stance from day one. The biggest issue at hand is there will be no resolution till Monday. You see we all found out about it after sts called it quits for the weekend. Your arguments are sound and all I can do is soldier on with my cause. Thanks for the approval and hopefully this gets resolved Monday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

That's dumb. There's a character named hookurr that i reported like five times already and they still walkin around with that name

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

ukeefood....great name

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plmafiaboss View Post
    That's dumb. There's a character named hookurr that i reported like five times already and they still walkin around with that name
    Change takes time, multiple reports from a single player almost seems malicious and could be viewed as harassment. In the future, I'd only report it once and leave it to the devs... you've done your part.

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

Kaarataka! Thank you very much for all the supportive posts. Means a lot to me. And I'm flattered, looking forward to having you in Revelation!!
    It is true though, I am very saddened by losing my name. Only time will tell, hopefully by Monday I'll know more.
    In the mean time lemons shall be made into lemonade. And some of the names have caught my interest! Planning to pick one as soon as Monday.
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Guardian of Alterra Chickenrunnn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

Hey dtf that's cool making a name contest x) I've no idea about new
    Names except maybe "dtfrunnn" or "xroserunnn" xD

I'll be unbanned in 34 hours cya then

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenrunnn View Post
    Hey dtf that's cool making a name contest x) I've no idea about new
    Names except maybe "dtfrunnn" or "xroserunnn" xD

I'll be unbanned in 34 hours cya then
    Almost been 7 days already? Nice. Wb in advance!
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

wow..... seriously u guys repped me down just cause of the little joke?!?!?!??!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cytokinesis View Post
    wow..... seriously u guys repped me down just cause of the little joke?!?!?!??!?!
    Why does anyone care about rep?