Thread: Justinjspark's Guide to a Successful Guild

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua:524224
    I'm recognized for being outspoken on the forums and being fantastic at the game.
    Don't forget modest... But Kahlua is right. All you really need to be a successful guild leader is to be honest, friendly, and helpful to your guildies. Having a huge guild isn't important, what's important is that the people in it give you a reason to log on every day. Why have a guild where your members feel like just a face in the crowd? And if you have people joining because you have some status in game being rich or famous, then you can guarantee those people will leave for the next biggest thing when it comes along. Unfortunately the best way to learn being a GM is trial and error. If this is gonna be your first guild expect to make some mistakes. Don't let that stop you, learn from them and push forward.

Some tips:

* Don't spam guild invites, hell, don't even publicly recruit. You want people who ask you, and show they want to be with you, not just join because you're asking them.

* Develop a set of rules for guildies to follow. Without structure, your guild will be shortlived. Put a stop to guild drama and arguements immediately.

* Encourage selflessness. Donate to your own stash to encourage your members to help one another out.

* Don't show off all your vanities and pinks to your members, or brag about what you have. This encourages jealousy, hatred, and lack of respect. A good GM, IMO, shares their good fortune with their members. (I.e. you have 8 pinks, 10 vanities? Share with your officers who have bad luck, karma goes a long way.)

* If you want to take on the task of being GM, make sure you have the time and patience to fulfill the position. Being a GM is an endless job, and if you don't work on making your guild better, it will become stale.

* Host contests, events, and other fun things to keep guildies interest after they've all capped, to disallow time for boredom & drama.

* Be strong with the kick button. If you feel a guildie is hurting another member's play experience, warn once, boot next time. Set rules, make examples out of the bad eggs. Maintain that structure.

* Finally, always make time for your guildies. Idc if you've got MF half dead while on a miners luck. if a guildie has a serious issue, DROP EVERYTHING! This will make them feel more valued.

I could go on, but this aint my thread and I was just up all night capping toons, so I'm off to bed.
    Last edited by Ebalere; 12-28-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums