Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Int bear help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Growwle View Post
    I don't get the desire to make a bear and then spec it like a mage. It is not original or cool, and it makes the character less effective because the skills available to you are not intended to be used with an INT build. I guess it is your time and money (if you buy plat) so play what you want but don't be different just for the sake of being different.
    Sounds like you have never played as an int bear, but you are just stereotyping us as usless -_-. Make an int bear and lv it up to (at least) 50. Then if you still think they are useless criticize them all you want.
    EVERYONE'S FAVORITE APPLE
    \Down with the Rep!/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Appleisaac View Post
    Sounds like you have never played as an int bear, but you are just stereotyping us as usless -_-. Make an int bear and lv it up to (at least) 50. Then if you still think they are useless criticize them all you want.
    Lol, it does take skill playing as one, but it does offer more armor in the long run so that's good.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Agreed. Now, I know where the Int Bear hate comes from - ignorant players. The only real downside to an Int based bear build is less armor and dodge. While that does make playing an Int (Int/Dex) bear more difficult to play because you are squishier, that is something that can be made up by the skill of the player. Staying alive as an Int based bear (generally Int/Dex is the best) requires the player to make maximum use of their defensive cooldowns and their stunning/crowd control abilities. It really comes down to knowing each map well enough to know where you will need your cooldowns. There is a natural flow to each map. If you are running into a mob group with only 2-3 easy to kill mobs and the next group has 5-6 with some hard hitting casters, save your evade and ironblood. Noob bears completely ignore this aspect of the game and go, "Oh, look, an ability is available, better press it immediately!" A healthy spamming of pots is also generally necessary as an int/dex bear.

Its been reiterated multiple times (a few times by myself already), but playing an int based bear trades survivability for damage. You make up the survivability issues with more skillful play or by using an elixir (the easy way), so you are just left with contributing more to your team with more damage output.

I'll even go as far to say that an int based bear build is overall more effective than an all strength bear build. Full strength bears are virtually worthless due to the extremely low hit percentage (66%). Skills and attacks miss frequently and the str bear has difficulty even pulling and maintaining aggro. Thus, all that extra armor and dodge is useless because mobs aren't attacking the bear anyway.

/rantoff
    Kiitz - Int/Dex Bear (66) || Kiitx - Dex Bird (66) || Kiitzx - Int/Dex Mage (66)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kiitz For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Woot woot!!!!
    \Down with the Rep!/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, i think IntBears will have a comeback. The armor on int gears now and the damage of the weapons compared to last time is just, insane. Everyone has a different build, conradin and I used to go str int back then. But I'd greatly suggest you go dex int nowadays. though StrInt bears shouldn't be a bad option.
    [FONT=garamond]I like Bears. Be jealous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
    Actually, i think IntBears will have a comeback. The armor on int gears now and the damage of the weapons compared to last time is just, insane. Everyone has a different build, conradin and I used to go str int back then. But I'd greatly suggest you go dex int nowadays. though StrInt bears shouldn't be a bad option.
    Why dex int?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coltongadkins View Post
    Why dex int?
    Because dex increases dmg and skill damage. Your hit% will also increase, as will your crit. IMO dex is generally then str for int bears, but there are ways to be an effective team member with both builds.
    \Down with the Rep!/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Because dex increases dmg and skill damage. Your hit% will also increase, as will your crit. IMO dex is generally then str for int bears, but there are ways to be an effective team member with both builds.
    But with dex/int wouldn't you be squishier than with some str thrown in there, causing you to be less effective as a tank?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

If your a good tank, you won't need the extra armor I call str "training wheels".
    \Down with the Rep!/

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coltongadkins View Post
    But with dex/int wouldn't you be squishier than with some str thrown in there, causing you to be less effective as a tank?
    It depends on how you define "effective". Not having any Strength in your build will make it a little bit harder for you to survive, but if you are good enough to survive as both a strength build and a non-strength build, then it doesn't matter. Effectiveness of a tank is really then defined by the ability of the "tank" to keep mobs off of their even squishier teammates. As a bear, this is mainly done through a combination of stuns (beckon, stomp, hellscream) and not so much by soaking up shots to the face. The tank does still wants all the mobs to be attacking him instead of his teammates. The ONLY way to get that to happen is to have your taunt land on the enemy (and this doesn't always do a very good job) and more importantly, deal enough damage to the mobs to keep them aggroed on you.

Dex gives a bear more hit and damage which helps the bear land his skills to keep the mobs stunned and do more damage, keeping the aggro of the mobs/boss on him.
    Last edited by kiitz; 03-27-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Kiitz - Int/Dex Bear (66) || Kiitx - Dex Bird (66) || Kiitzx - Int/Dex Mage (66)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kiitz View Post
    It depends on how you define "effective". Not having any Strength in your build will make it a little bit harder for you to survive, but if you are good enough to survive as both a strength build and a non-strength build, then it doesn't matter. Effectiveness of a tank is really then defined by the ability of the "tank" to keep mobs off of their even squishier teammates. As a bear, this is mainly done through a combination of stuns (beckon, stomp, hellscream) and not so much by soaking up shots to the face. The tank does still wants all the mobs to be attacking him instead of his teammates. The ONLY way to get that to happen is to have your taunt land on the enemy (and this doesn't always do a very good job) and more importantly, deal enough damage to the mobs to keep them aggroed on you.

Dex gives a bear more hit and damage which helps the bear land his skills to keep the mobs stunned and do more damage, keeping the aggro of the mobs/boss on him.
    Alright i'll try it out.