Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Culture shock

1.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #21
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

We're always looking for faster and better ways for people to communicate. I have the four quick-chat buttons set up for things I say alot: (Howdy, woot, lol, and gratz).

At the very least shake your phone to wave people!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nah I mean Culture Shock. Im American and we say hello or something silmiler, or for us "men" we do that nod of acknowledgement.
    So yes I agree with the hot keys Its not that hard to say HELLO AND THANK YOU.

And also I said with playing with the Japaniese/asain culture we AMERICANS showed them respect by conforming in the simplist way as to type /bow in our chats.
    As Americans we were more at ease with our own just saying a greeting of our culture like "sup"?

As Americans if your bartender, waiter, cashier, desk agent ect ect ect..... didnt greet you, you would find that rude. It is american culture as most to GREET in someway in showing you realize the person being there.
    And there is just NO excuse to not say thank you.
    70 mp to raise, your a waste of my MP is most cases becuase you went off alone to something you cant handle, your too low for the lvl, yadda yadda yadda
    Yes some deaths happen that arnt result in ones own stupidity and I feel its my responsibility to raise, where its not so nessecary to thank.
    Last edited by Tobikuma; 04-24-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    We're always looking for faster and better ways for people to communicate. I have the four quick-chat buttons set up for things I say alot: (Howdy, woot, lol, and gratz).

At the very least shake your phone to wave people!
    I frankly find it quite hard to do. Have to wave it so hard that I cant really play normally. I've shaken it till my ordination flips and I'm still not waving. Maybe my characters are just introverted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent points Pixxie and AmonRaa. I guess I shouldn't respond to stuff when I'm tired and cranky! Seems to make me think the worst of people.

Tobikuma -- I totally get what you are saying. As I said earlier I have played MMO's for over 10 years and have been very socially active in them. However, I mostly don't play MMO's anymore and when I do I don't group. The trend in courtesy online has been going steadily downhill and I just got tired of dealing with all the nasties. Not just those who don't say please or thank you but kill-stealers, exploiters, name-callers, hate-mongers, etc. I have had wonderful in-game experiences and have met and continue to meet great people, but that percentage is down to the point where it is just no longer fun for me interact online. If someone initiates non-negative chat with me I will happily respond but I won't initiate contact unless forced to do so. And, if I'm forced to group in a game I just won't play that game. Unless, of course, it's one my son plays too -- if he is rude to me I will ground him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Justg -- Thanks for the info -- I didn't know you could set up quick-chat thingies. That is cool! The "shake to wave" thing is nice too but not something I would use. I pretty much only play portable games on my iphone these days because I have rheumatoid arthritis and the DS & PSP make my hands ache. Shaking on the iphone (ipod, etc.) is one of my least favorite features for the same reason. I am a pretty tiny minority there so just my 2 cents, not a complaint. ; )

I do love large role-playing games and Pocket Legends is one of the best for the iphone, so thanks for that too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My quickchat links are : hi there, thx(for friending me or rez), nice item!, and "please don't spread up!"(utterly annoyed by dudes who rush alone in a 30+ maze, die and ask for rez)

To go back to the idea of "bowing to asian players", that's half-ignorant half-insulting imho... I'm from belgium, I wouldn't like people throwing me chocolate waffles as greetings....

Last time a friend tried to be "polite" to a japanese guest, he put a baby spoon on the table because unsure of whether fork'n'knife were okay... that's plain ignorance. Still funny as hell though.
    Alteran Archer, lvl 30, GMT+9(Tokyo), English/French/Japanese.
    Alteran Blue Potion Junkie (BornToHeal), lvl 30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

oh, and it seems like ingame, many people take the "shake iphone/handwave" as a "please follow me" request lol
    Alteran Archer, lvl 30, GMT+9(Tokyo), English/French/Japanese.
    Alteran Blue Potion Junkie (BornToHeal), lvl 30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that people don't talk much. It's too hard to chat during the game. I understand, it's not a necessary.
    Thanks you for sharing thread.

Regards,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play on a galaxy tab which is humongous compared to my girl friends who do on their iphone and i can see how hard it is to type on such a small scrren. so i guess the limitation is on eqpt. once it comes out on pc it should be a lot easier to chat i think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think it is the nature of iphone in size limitation, in my experience it is slow to coordinate playing the game and typing at the same time.

Imagine if there was a pc version. Id be happy to type more. I always chat when I play mmorpg games like diablo, but for the iphone mmo rpg games i dont even bother to talk much unless nececcesary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just use the wave emote for hello and goodbye lol.... and I've seen a lot of people who do the same
    You can't really chat with people while doing runs unless you're waiting for someone or just chilling around for some reason after killing the boss
    And you always hear "REV PLEASE!!!!"
    Brotherhood / 兄弟盟 - A guild for 1337 players
    Doapsaint Level 55 Pure Dex Birdie | Supahsaint Level 15 Str/Dex Bear
    Progress to 56 |▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓|

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

who decided to necro this year old thread...
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since this thread has already been necrofied(?)...

The answer is:

Because the majority of PL's players are kids under the age of 12.
    (Correct me if i'm wrong)
    Don't get high on your own supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Splurd View Post
    I frankly find it quite hard to do. Have to wave it so hard that I cant really play normally. I've shaken it till my ordination flips and I'm still not waving. Maybe my characters are just introverted.
    Frankly, I find it quite hard to read your font color.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I use a lot of emotes, like laugh, celebrate, dance, etc. Others seem to also.

Star light, star bright...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

The Pocket Legends community is a lot nicer than most other MMO's. People are polite most of the time and you get to build good friendships. Mainly this happens on the forums or in casual games/townes. I myself rarely talk when I am in dungeons. It's just too hard to type and fight at the same time with a ipod 1st gen that almost freezes completely when more then 3 spells are going off at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Splurd View Post
    I have the same problems. I wouldn't be surprised if I have shaken some parts loose in my ipod with how hard I have to shake it to get it to wave. Then it will casually wave randomly by the smallest movements when, lets say, changing positions to get more comfortable.
    Last edited by Pharcyde; 06-10-2011 at 03:51 PM.