Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: How rare is too rare? What do you think about crazy rare stuff?

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

How rare is too rare?
    Eli Holden is too rare!
    Farming the same map for over a month straight with 3 toons and nothing.
    I've at least seen a Dragon armor and helm in CS so I know that it's out there.
    I have yet to see anyone post a pic of Eli Holden, nor noticed any toon with the associated Death Incarnate achievement, so that is a prime example of too rare. How about making Eli's rate equal to that of the Dragon sets now and I'll be happy.

Oh yeah, I went there.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gluttony For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    How rare is too rare?
    Eli Holden is too rare!
    Farming the same map for over a month straight with 3 toons and nothing.
    I've at least seen a Dragon armor and helm in CS so I know that it's out there.
    I have yet to see anyone post a pic of Eli Holden, nor noticed any toon with the associated Death Incarnate achievement, so that is a prime example of too rare. How about making Eli's rate equal to that of the Dragon sets now and I'll be happy with that.

Oh yeah, I went there.

Yes. Eli Holden rare is def too rare. Anything that require more than 20 hours (2 hours a day for 10 days) of farming on average to obtain is too rare, it just ends up discouraging people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Honestly I think it doesn't come down to rarity as much as it comes down to money. The more rare an item is, the higher the price. The higher the price, the harder it is for casual players. Personally I hate farming and generally stick to merching as a way of obtaining money. However, it seems with each new cap the rarity of pinks goes up, and the ability to merch as a means of survival (so to speak) becomes harder and harder. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this had something to do with why Evolt left. He got tired of merching more and more money and watching a farmer get a couple drops and make the same amount as him without near as much brains or effect.

What I'm trying to say is, I really like the idea of a super rare item that not many people have, but it seems that this will simply cause an even greater unbalance in the game; from pvp, to merching, to farming. I'm against the idea of it being super rare because it leaves players like myself in the dust and always a step behind the game.

I'm sure many will disagree, and I respect that. This is all simply my opinion
    ~MM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

The pinks at nuris and the dragon armors are far too hard to farm. The first time I went to nuris was after the cap had been moved to fang. It was an awful experience because I did not get one pink the whole time i lvled there. Also, the items i got from bosses were the same as the items I got from regular minions.
    EVERYONE'S FAVORITE APPLE
    \Down with the Rep!/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Maybe super rare doesn't have to be drop rates? Maybe a doable, but insanely annoying quests that requires someone to pay gold for the item in the end could be considered rare. That way, a casual player can take 20 min a day to slowly complete the quest if they are willing, and hardcore players have something to do too. I'm not too sure how this will work out because if a quest chain is too...obnoxiously crazy, then it could be discouraging. Then again, the reward is supposed to be a rare item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

@windwaiker in theory that is a really good idea! I'm not sure just how it would work, but that is an excellent idea for sure. It would have to be a quest you could complete multiple times as well. Good thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I agree with Apollo. It can be discouraging to spend a lot of plat to farm for weeks and get nothing to show for.

Maybe there could be a system that logs the hours you actually farm. And slowly increases the chance to get an extremely rare pink. For example, every 10hours, you get an increase by 1% to get the rarest drop. Once you get that drop, that system would reset itself. Some kind of indicator about your chances would be nice too.

IMO, this would encourage the real hardcore farmers to keep farming, knowing that their chances slowly increase. I've been in so many runs, where I had been farming for weeks (hours a day), when some newbie enters and gets an extremely rare pink. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for that guy/girl at that moment, but simultaneously I feel a bit discouraged.

A system that somehow awards the actual hours you're farming, could be something to keep more people interested, knowing that the longer they're without anything, the higher their chances will get.

Thoughts?

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xionskull View Post
    I think the gold dragon should be 5mil or sound there not like 20mil. I go around town seeing people sell the blue dragon for 10mil think make it 500k-1m that's better.
    Spacetime Studios has no control over the price. However, if they raise the drop rate, the supply will go up and the price will eventually fall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Default How rare is too rare? What do you think about crazy rare stuff?

There is nothing wrong with super rare items where just seeing someone in town wearing it is special, but in a casual game like this, those items shouldn't have stats. Just the look of the item should be enough of a reward. If there is a set bonus, then most average gamers (few hours on most days) should be able to farm one in a few weeks.

IMO vanities should never give stats. What's the point of having cool vanities if everyone just wears the same ones for the set bonus?
    SL: Staryknight 41 * Stary 41 * Starynite 40
    DL: Stary 26
    PL: Ardinia 70 * Ardinie 30 * Ardinio 20

*******Heaven N Hells Assassins*******

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Staryknight For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Staryknight View Post
    There is nothing wrong with super rare items where just seeing someone in town wearing it is special, but in a casual game like this, those items shouldn't have stats. Just the look of the item should be enough of a reward. If there is a set bonus, then most average gamers (few hours on most days) should be able to farm one in a few weeks.

IMO vanities should never give stats. What's the point of having cool vanities if everyone just wears the same ones for the set bonus?
    What if O.o they make more! And you can not just customize Looks but stats aswell just like how they did with the faces... Or something.
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I think too rare is discouraging, especially for those who use platinum elixirs to farm.

It should be a balance between challenge and reward.

So, essentially, I think Dragon Drop rates should be bumped up, but still to the point where they are lower drop rate than the premium pinks but a noticeable increase in drop rate percentage.

Same thing goes for Nuri's drops IMO.
    I fully agree with Apollo! I have a lot of toons (I MAY be slightly addicted to PL) and have ran 10 toons through nuri so far and I have yet to receive a pink or a crafting drop on any of those maps either. Like I had mentioned before I have ran in fang ALOT and still have yet to see any of the dragon drops. Definitely discouraging!

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

I think people need to put this in perspective.

Dragon items have been out a few *days*.

I would farm in Fang for *weeks* without a pink, and I didn't mind. It made finally getting that lilith bracer or that sanguine leather even sweeter!

I would *hope* that dragon items are *at most* 50% likely to drop as a given sanguine/lilith/orlok pink. If I got a dragon drop in one month, I would think that was fair. If longer, I would still think that was fair. How many people in SL have X-Rays?

Money/plat spent on farming should have absolutely no bearing on whether or not someone should loot a dragon piece. It's not like luck re-rolls anything good in Fang anyways. Any elixir used for farming purposes in Fang should be considered only to make the runs faster, nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I capped three toons and no drop yet...
    Two days ago I made 105 runs, yesterday 68 runs, today 100 runs.
    Altogether over 600 runs easily and no drop yet.
    I always use two toons cause Im not sure how the drop rate works on one toon.

How rare is too rare?
    Let me ask u one thing. If u grind over 300k xp and neither u or ur mates sees one drop of these 'cool' armors then I'm starting to feel discouraged. I farm at least 6 hours a day but if there's hardly a chance that I see one drop how can I ever complete a set? And for the gold set u have to gamble (I spent a thousand plat on the pet without luck and don't feel like wasting more) again...

Every run takes 2-10 minutes, depending on completion and team set up. So, is it too much to ask for a drop at least every 500 runs? If u run with less experienced players clearing a map takes pretty long. Let's do the math, 10 minutes times 500. Worst case 5000 minutes of grinding gets u one drop which will still be more than 83 hours of farming...

Sam, I just don't know what the drop rate should be but I just feel it is not right atm. Ppl who are running with me hardly grind as much as I do but they still think it is too rare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slcinuup View Post
    Too rare is when you run for three hours and get nothing.
    What?

I think Dragon Armor should be as rare as Green Ice. Actually, maybe have green Dragon stuff at the level of Green Ice, Blue and Red a little bit rarer than that, and Gold Armor a bit rarer than that.

It just seems rare now because it's dropping in an area everyone now thinks of as the "old" area, while we all wait for the new, shiny stuff. It'd be nice if the Dragon Armor drops were moved to the new area or could also drop in the new area or in all areas that are 60+. Farmers could then spread out their farming.

Rarity is great -- about a month of farming each day for a few hours to get an item, occasionally seeing a set -- that's the way I see Dragon Armor.

Star light, star bright...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fyrce For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think you should increase the drop rate on Dragon vanities and Glyph in Nuri's Hallows. Ty STS for making a thread for OUR opinions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

I think it's just perfect.
    Just as rare of the SL vanities, duh.
    Besides, I don't want this turning into something like those crafted sets, where we have everyone at level 65 wearing one.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirlzap For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I think that the items are perhaps too challenging. While I feel they should be more rare than a regular pink. I think the current rates are extremely discouraging and hardcore farmers usually will hit pinks eventually, but if it's this rare it might never happen.

my other concern is that with the new content coming that fang will see minimal play time and thus the amount of dragon in the market will not increase, and items that rare would not be fruitful to farm for

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixillicus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Having them drop in humania would help a bit also.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Suentous PO For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts

they drop should increase, but not be as high as any other endgame pink. somewhere in that range
    Jcyee: 76 PL Bear | 41 AL Warrior | 36 DL Vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

i like green ice rarity
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting