Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: How rare is too rare? What do you think about crazy rare stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slcinuup View Post
    Too rare is when you run for three hours and get nothing.
    Lol. You expected to get that in three hours?? I've run for probably 15 hours since the thing was released and haven't even SEEN one drop.

Not to mention other pink drops that i have yet to lot from fang in 6 months.

I think this drop rate is perfect. Like others have said, it keeps the popularity and demand high. IMO adding these drops was one of the best decisions you guys have made with this game (maybe doing it a little sooner)

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

I agree with the others who say the drop rate is too rare. I have yet to see anything drop there, I don't think any one in my guild has the dragon armor. My opinion is that the casual player will never amass either enough gold or runs to get the armor. They will always be "a day late, and a dollar short". Personally I would like to see something like the cyber or shadow quests initiated for the dragon armor. Heck even a kill 1000 vamps (mini boss/boss) quest would make it an obtainable item, that anyone could get with enough work. ( still wont get me back into vlods room though LOL). Except to help open the map. :-)

Because the way I see it it, with the way things are now, with the drop rate the way it is right now, fang will be just another map to blast through and pray you never have to go back to, just like nuris. I was so excited to see the dragon armor announced, but then nearly a week went by before I saw a single piece in cs. . . . . For 10 mill!!! I was beginning to think the drop rate was glitched. Nope I'm not paying 10 mil. Prices and drop rates like that just discourage all but the hardest of the hard core. And from what I can see even some of them are discouraged.

My initial excitement has turned to apathy. I'm not going to waste my time farming for something I have little or no chance of obtaining. I'm just working on my war chest for humania. If I get a drop along the way hooray if I don't . . . Meh.
    IGN - LyrrLynn. Guild Master of Xplicit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shellkaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Rare items keep addicted players playing. If everythings toi comon ppl start losing interest after a week. If everyweek there is new contest its fine but we dont have that, so we need reasons to stay on, like the new coming achievement system and more quests. Im rly looking forward to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

But see that's exactly what I mean, the dragon armor drop is too rare. Your looking forward to the new map just like me. I won't be going back to fang to farm for dragon armor, will you? It's too rare for me, and It's not worth my time to run for hours and hours and hours with no reward. I'll go back to help guildies level, but not for dragon armor. Something has to be obtainable with a reasonable amount of effort. As one poster mentioned over 600 runs with full groups and not a single dragon armor to anyone. That's on par with nuris and no one goes to nuris except to get through it on their way to fang.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

How rare is to rare?
    Well I think that if most of the people in PL haven't even seen a dragon armor drop (including myself) Then its to rare. I would also add that I don't want it to become to easy to get to the point where everyone has a set and they sell for 100k each, but maybe we could have it drop a little more often?. Thanks for caring about our opinions STS!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffinfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Not only have I not seen one drop, the only sets I've seen any one wearing are the plat sets. I still think that this would make a great high level quest item!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

There is too much exclusivity already IMO but not enough uniqueness/distinction. How about adding a mechanic I've seen elsewhere where you can combine items and get increasingly customized and unique result items (with the type of the final item determined by the highest level/rated item that is put into the mix)? Maybe you can't have a million different looks but perhaps you could have more varieties of stats that lets each build be really different and unpredictable?
    Last edited by n00b13st; 06-12-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    2.718281828459045235360287471352662497757247093699 95957496696762772407663035354759457138217852516642 74274663919320030599218174135966290435729003342952 60595630738132328

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think the drop rat is fine! It is a super rare vanity. It got me back into a game that has been stale for a while(still the best STS has!!). I was lucky enough to get a red dragon helm on the 3rd run in Emma. I joined a near full server of thrashers and asked if I could stay. They allowed. I was on my alternative lvl 64 bear and had no elixirs or luck enhancers. I can't thank that group enough for letting me stay. I love the community pocket legends has. Good people, good times great pinks. Did I mention this game really made me like the color pink!! When I see it in real life I get excited. Is that weird?'
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

there are somethings in the game are indeed very valuable. These items i believe are often incorrectly deemed extremely valuable based on rarity. I believe it should be based on how powerful,useful the item is. Dragon vanities should be slightly more obtainable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrnofunz View Post
    I think the drop rat is fine! It is a super rare vanity. It got me back into a game that has been stale for a while(still the best STS has!!). I was lucky enough to get a red dragon helm on the 3rd run in Emma. I joined a near full server of thrashers and asked if I could stay. They allowed. I was on my alternative lvl 64 bear and had no elixirs or luck enhancers. I can't thank that group enough for letting me stay. I love the community pocket legends has. Good people, good times great pinks. Did I mention this game really made me like the color pink!! When I see it in real life I get excited. Is that weird?'
    hey thats me! Billiardz XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

So far, after reading everyone's comments I believe that whirlzap made the most sense.

Here's my only problem. Because these items are so rare, people have tended to get the idea that it will only drop to the truly dedicated farmers. while this may be true in the case of Farakseven, it isn't the case (from what I've seen) with any other person. In other words it has dropped to a few random people who probably didn't farm all that much.

What I'm trying to say is, I like the idea of working really hard and getting a reward from it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's the way life is. If you disagree then tell that to life, not me. So far with the normal drop rates of other pinks, working hard has payed off every time. The longer you farm, the more it will pay off. However, with these new vanities it seems more of a "random lucky drop" kind of deal, rather than a "I've farmed for x amount of time and finally got mine."

I just don't think these vanities are "fair" because a dedicated farmer will not get a reward for his work. This is why I like the idea of a really long and hard quest, rather than just an extremely lucky drop.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMicah For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    I just don't think these vanities are "fair" because a dedicated farmer will not get a reward for his work. This is why I like the idea of a really long and hard quest, rather than just an extremely lucky drop.
    Maybe I'm confused. Its no different than any other drop. They are always random. The more you run, the more you have an opportunity to get the drop.

Let me give you an example, I've been farming for Sanguine Leather for weeks now and Sanguine Longbow since Fang was released (never got one of these). I've seen each drop 2 or 3 time to different people in the last week. But not to me. Its the same logic as with the dragon vanities.

The drop system is random. That's the way its been for a long time. At least since I started playing.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

[QUOTE=Aedenos;668271]Maybe I'm confused. Its no different than any other drop. They are always random. The more you run, the more you have an opportunity to get the drop.

That´s two different things. Drops are technically random, but as long as the drop rate is not too low, it maybe feels like a reward for your hard farming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Its as rare to make me rage quit, and I have yet to farm it, just hearing it sounds like a myth O.o
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I think too rare is discouraging, especially for those who use platinum elixirs to farm.

It should be a balance between challenge and reward.

So, essentially, I think Dragon Drop rates should be bumped up, but still to the point where they are lower drop rate than the premium pinks but a noticeable increase in drop rate percentage.

Same thing goes for Nuri's drops IMO.
    Agreed, Nuri drop rates need to increase.
    A veteran who cannot let go the glorified Legends days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

It seems like the general consensus here is:

- Mt. Fang, and specifically, Dragon drop rate is too low
    - Nuri's drop rate is too low

I missed the Nuri release because I was too busy with my other tasks in game (helping noobs, hosting giveaways, training guildmates, etc.) so I missed out on the initial surge of pinks released. By the time I circled back to Nuri's it was difficult to get a group together, even PUGs! Now, Nuri's is a ghost town, and I've farmed Nuri's for a long, long time (Lions Den and Nuri's Madness mostly), without a single pink for me or anyone in any group I've been in. Frankly, I think the drop rate is why Nuri's rarely has much going on for it. There are a few farmers who host private games (which is fine, they are farming after all), but the small number of groups that I see there are just around to level their toons to ~58-59 so they can tackle Mt. Fang. Shoot, I see more activity in Frozen Nightmares than in Nuri's and that says a lot because the two elite quests in Nightmares are a real grind! Fortunately, Nightmares has a reasonable drop rate and is still challenging for higher level characters, so it is still a fun map.

Alien Oasis on the other hand has a very high drop rate (relatively speaking), but it seems super popular for the farming crowd. At least you can go there and find plenty of groups and on certain maps (Plasma Pyramid and Victory Lap), you will almost certainly get a pink drop after a few runs. While this drives down prices for most of the pinks, there are still some that are rare enough to keep it interesting (Mirage Robe, Ryylox Blaster and a handful of others) and actually has some value in the Consignment Shop. Unfortunately, because the drop rate is so high in Oasis, you always get the merchants who buys discounted items, but always says "No Alien Oasis". Oasis has the formula pretty close, just reduce the "junk" pink drop rate by ~25-40% and I think you have a good model.

Fang, like Nuri's seems to have the drop rate set very low. I've been grinding in Fang since the release and I've received four....FOUR....pinks. Hundreds and hundreds of runs! I understand how the drop rate works and that it is not cumulative, so whether you are on run 1 or run 1000, the drop percentages are exactly the same, but that's a pretty low return. Honestly, I'm not really too put off by it, but it just "feels" like the drop rate is set too low. Further, since the Dragon announcement, I've focused almost all of my in game time on trying to get at least one of the Dragon items. Over the course of literally hundreds of runs, I have yet to see a drop, for myself or any of the groups I've been in. Everyone I've spoken to reports that they haven't seen a drop either, and they too feel that the drop rate in Fang seems to have decreased. Most of my guild mates say that they haven't seen a pink drop in weeks.

My fear is that once Humania is introduced, Fang will become just like Nuri's, a ghost town that people grind through, just so they can level up to get to the new map. Afterall, farming on a map where the drop rates are so low ends up costing you money. In the time it takes to get an Orlok Plate, get the recipe and craft it, you can amass a couple of Laser Cannons, a Mega Mage Robe, a couple of Onyx items, a Voodoo item and a Vyxxnar helm. With a crafted Plate going for ~600K, you end up losing a lot, especially if you purchase elixirs to "increase" your luck. This is probably the main reason why Nuri's is always nearly empty - yes, Glyph and Demonic items have a lot of value, but with drop rates so low, you're better off farming in Sandstone Caves - average revenue per hour of game time is, by a huge margin, worst in the Nuri and Fang maps.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

@aedenos right, but the more the rarity is increased, the harder it is for the law of averages to play out.

If you flip a quarter 1,000,000 times it will probably land on heads 500,000 times and tails 500,000 times, or something very very close. However if were to draw 1,000,000 times out of a hat filled with 1,000,000 names and only one is yours, you will not get your name. In fact you could try several million times and you most likely won't get your name. Why? Because the law of averages has a harder time playing out on a higher scale; in this case, higher rarity.

The quarter had a 50% chance each time, whereas the name drawing only had 1/1,000,000% chance each time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Yeah this is to rare for a later add in on a campaign. It might've been better if it dropped right from the start!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud Member of:
    <The Community Guild> PL Chars: Sryyoulose L76, swept L10
    SL Chars: Sryyoulose L40, Affair L28, XPLX L20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    Lol. You expected to get that in three hours?? I've run for probably 15 hours since the thing was released and haven't even SEEN one drop.

Not to mention other pink drops that i have yet to lot from fang in 6 months.

I think this drop rate is perfect. Like others have said, it keeps the popularity and demand high. IMO adding these drops was one of the best decisions you guys have made with this game (maybe doing it a little sooner)
    15 hours? never seen? thats brutal 7 hours seen 3 then again ppl say me runs are lucky.. for them not for me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud Member of:
    <The Community Guild> PL Chars: Sryyoulose L76, swept L10
    SL Chars: Sryyoulose L40, Affair L28, XPLX L20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Rare is to rare when you have 4 pages of people saying its rare. So it needs to be bumped a bit. But yea the pros will out weigh the cons.

edit*
    now its 5 pages long.
    Last edited by octavos; 06-06-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos