Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Call of Champions Alpha Eligibility

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

A tournament in AL will prove your skills at AL PvP. It's a MOBA, not CTF.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragoonclaws For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoonclaws View Post
    Couldnt have said it better. What they REALY should be looking for is experianced MOBA players, active gamers and forumers. People who can make clear and concise posts and help squash bugs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

Default Call of Champions Alpha Eligibility

Agreed. MOBAs are vastly different than other PvP games in terms of general strategy. Some parts like reaction time and positioning carry over, but MOBA fighting requires coordination on multiple levels of decision making and map play/rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vystirch View Post
    Couldnt have said it better. What they REALY should be looking for is experianced MOBA players, active gamers and forumers. People who can make clear and concise posts and help squash bugs.
    And wb btw, agreed here too

Visit my Youtube Channel! Here--> Terrainrob's Videos of Everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto077 View Post
    Agreed. MOBAs are vastly different than other PvP games in terms of general strategy. Some parts like reaction time and positioning carry over, but MOBA fighting requires coordination on multiple levels of decision making and map play/rotations.

And wb btw, agreed here too
    For AL, there are many types of players. We can be an elite farmer, a PvP player, a nab, and someone who doesn't want to respec (so uses same spec everywhere). If a game is PvP specific, people will play PvP and be pros at it. You learned to be a good PvP or good PvE in AL, SL, PL, DL. Same will happen in CoC. We're looking for people who are already pros. I've only seen people telling why they should be in the AlphaTest, there is not much talking about the criterias other then reporting bugs and PvP tournament. We're trying to differentiate Titans from Heros.

I am not very familiar with the PvP pros of AL, PL and SL. I can find many names in the already done Tournaments and post them here, but we can all do that. People naming their best friends and best PvP people they know. We're talking MOBA, then let's talk MOBA.

The best to tell who is titan and who is legend, is to test game first and place people on that leaderboard. The point with the Tournament is to tell who's better then the other and class people. AL tournament, no. MOBA testing and tournament, yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Hi Adrian,

Following up from the PM I sent you, I'd like to formally (and briefly) apply to be a Call of Champions Alpha tester. I'll give you a few reasons why I think I am qualified, and you as well as the result of the forum members can assess these qualifications.

1) AL PvP/PvE Experience: I have been playing AL since S1, and started PvPing during S2 and haven't stopped since. My experience in CTF and TDM is quite extensive. I mention that I have PvE experience because as a timed runner who has held records in every type of map in Arcane Legends (Hauntlet, Watcher's Tombs, Kraag Tombs, Kraken Mines, and a variety of Elite Maps), I can tell you that I have a high attention to detail. Be this in PvE or PvP, anyone who has played with me knows this fact. I notice things that other people overlook. So, as an Alpha Tester, I believe that I would be able to use this mind-set to point out things that others wouldn't necessarily notice.
    2) Forum Activity: As an Alpha tester, a person needs to be able to communicate what they're seeing so that a developer can understand and fix the problem. Being active on the forums for the last 6 months or so I've proven that I can make well written posts that are logical, objective, and easy to follow. I may not have the ability to screen record, but screenshots and write-ups are just as useful, if not more useful/feasible.
    3) Related Work Experience: I may not have extensive programming experience, but for a job I actually work closely with developers and have learned to understand their process of developing software, which entails things like development, testing, defect logging and management, etc. I could leverage this experience quite easily as an Alpha Tester, and it would only help me at work!

I do hope that many of the players applying here understand that although this will be a fun thing to do, it will be a good amount of work. And I would like to behoove you to keep in mind that there are players who would may this privileged information and use it to their advantage - which has been done in Arcane Legends in the past by some of the very players who have applied before me. So, some sort of contractual agreement is necessary IMO.

Anyway, as an Alpha tester I'd be able to leverage this experience my in game experience, my ability to communicate effectively and objectively, and my work experience.

And just as an observation... it does seem like this is becoming a popularity contest with people nominating their own friends. But hey that's just what it seems like to me.
    Last edited by raw; 04-08-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raw View Post
    Hi Adrian,

Following up from the PM I sent you, I'd like to formally (and briefly) apply to be a Call of Champions Alpha tester. I'll give you a few reasons why I think I am qualified, and you as well as the result of the forum members can assess these qualifications.

1) AL PvP/PvE Experience: I have been playing AL since S1, and started PvPing during S2 and haven't stopped since. My experience in CTF and TDM is quite extensive. I mention that I have PvE experience because as a timed runner who has held records in every type of map in Arcane Legends (Hauntlet, Watcher's Tombs, Kraag Tombs, Kraken Mines, and a variety of Elite Maps), I can tell you that I have a high attention to detail. Be this in PvE or PvP, anyone who has played with me knows this fact. I notice things that other people overlook. So, as an Alpha Tester, I believe that I would be able to use this mind-set to point out things that others wouldn't necessarily notice.
    2) Forum Activity: As an Alpha tester, a person needs to be able to communicate what they're seeing so that a developer can understand and fix the problem. Being active on the forums for the last 6 months or so I've proven that I can make well written posts that are logical, objective, and easy to follow. I may not have the ability to screen record, but screenshots and write-ups are just as useful, if not more useful/feasible.
    3) Related Work Experience: I may not have extensive programming experience, but for a job I actually work closely with developers and have learned to understand their process of developing software, which entails things like development, testing, defect logging and management, etc. I could leverage this experience quite easily as an Alpha Tester, and it would only help me at work!

I do hope that many of the players applying here understand that although this will be a fun thing to do, it will be a good amount of work. And I would like to behoove you to keep in mind that there are players who would may this privileged information and use it to their advantage - which has been done in Arcane Legends in the past by some of the very players who have applied before me. So, some sort of contractual agreement is necessary IMO.

Anyway, as an Alpha tester I'd be able to leverage this experience my in game experience, my ability to communicate effectively and objectively, and my work experience.

And just as an observation... it does seem like this is becoming a popularity contest with people nominating their own friends. But hey that's just what it seems like to me.
    I forgot to recommend you but Raw is also a skilled candidate, despite differences we may share. He may not have played all Legends titles but throughout all the Legends games I have played, the true pros (in the sense that they can be pro in any game) have a certain personality, mindset, and qualities.

Players like Raw, Mysticaldream, Hahahahabirdy, Cloakker and a few others posses this (IMO).
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

For AL, there are many types of players. We can be an elite farmer, a PvP player, a nab, and someone who doesn't want to respec (so uses same spec everywhere). If a game is PvP specific, people will play PvP and be pros at it. You learned to be a good PvP or good PvE in AL, SL, PL, DL. Same will happen in CoC. We're looking for people who are already pros. I've only seen people telling why they should be in the AlphaTest, there is not much talking about the criterias other then reporting bugs and PvP tournament. We're trying to differentiate Titans from Heros.

I am not very familiar with the PvP pros of AL, PL and SL. I can find many names in the already done Tournaments and post them here, but we can all do that. People naming their best friends and best PvP people they know. We're talking MOBA, then let's talk MOBA.

The best to tell who is titan and who is legend, is to test game first and place people on that leaderboard. The point with the Tournament is to tell who's better then the other and class people. AL tournament, no. MOBA testing and tournament, yes.
    I agree with most everything (everything that was important i.e. not AL tourney), but if this game has a progression system related to League then the learning and specialization curve is entirely different. As you said, in AL people are experts at farming, PvP, or just play for whatevs, but MOBAs are designed to make all players look at the one ultimate goal in PvP.

A good way to think of it is with what we call the DotA to League approach. Originally, Blizzard released Warcraft 3 in the hopes of creating a game mixing the strategic gameplay of Starcraft with the progression system of an MMO with leveling up a singular character rather than an army. Using the level editor, a person created a game type called Defenders of the Ancients which sparked the idea of a 3 lane in match progression system where you controlled one character in Starcraft RTS style map with resource mobs spawning in and within the lanes. Soon enough, the original RTS principles of Warcraft were taken out of the game and level prebuild structures and a base for each team.

The mod became popular for its own gameplay and eventually released as a full game. Riot Games noticed the rapid success and released a game with the same principles, just with refined mechanics (called League of Legends). Rather than building yourself to win with either PvP or PvE, now both aspects were required to siege the enemy base and claim victory. The thing I'm trying to get at is the fact that Call of Champions is the refined Arcane Legends. Unnecessary mechanics that could cause harm to the PvP have been thrown away to create a different atmosphere much like how League of Legends evolved from Warcraft 3 which evolved the grand ancestor Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans (1994).

All in all, CoC will shape players to be the same, creating a more competitive atmosphere. This post took too long to write and was probably unnecessary

Visit my Youtube Channel! Here--> Terrainrob's Videos of Everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto077 View Post
    I agree with most everything (everything that was important i.e. not AL tourney), but if this game has a progression system related to League then the learning and specialization curve is entirely different. As you said, in AL people are experts at farming, PvP, or just play for whatevs, but MOBAs are designed to make all players look at the one ultimate goal in PvP.

A good way to think of it is with what we call the DotA to League approach. Originally, Blizzard released Warcraft 3 in the hopes of creating a game mixing the strategic gameplay of Starcraft with the progression system of an MMO with leveling up a singular character rather than an army. Using the level editor, a person created a game type called Defenders of the Ancients which sparked the idea of a 3 lane in match progression system where you controlled one character in Starcraft RTS style map with resource mobs spawning in and within the lanes. Soon enough, the original RTS principles of Warcraft were taken out of the game and level prebuild structures and a base for each team.

The mod became popular for its own gameplay and eventually released as a full game. Riot Games noticed the rapid success and released a game with the same principles, just with refined mechanics (called League of Legends). Rather than building yourself to win with either PvP or PvE, now both aspects were required to siege the enemy base and claim victory. The thing I'm trying to get at is the fact that Call of Champions is the refined Arcane Legends. Unnecessary mechanics that could cause harm to the PvP have been thrown away to create a different atmosphere much like how League of Legends evolved from Warcraft 3 which evolved the grand ancestor Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans (1994).

All in all, CoC will shape players to be the same, creating a more competitive atmosphere. This post took too long to write and was probably unnecessary
    10/10

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoonclaws For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

When will the decision/invitations sent for alpha testers be date wise?

13.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raregem View Post
    When will the decision/invitations sent for alpha testers be date wise?
    We'll announce Tier 1 in a couple of weeks.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

I think I'll have to disagree. Clashes (team fights) are inevitable in any MOBA game. The same goes for teamwork and communication within a team which is highly beneficial to any type of PvP whether it'd be in AL or CoC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    I think I'll have to disagree. Clashes (team fights) are inevitable in any MOBA game. The same goes for teamwork and communication within a team which is highly beneficial to any type of PvP whether it'd be in AL or CoC.
    I agree on that, but teamwork and communication is not only in PvP. Tactics neither. It's found in team sports, at work, in boss fight, in Call of Duty, Super Smash Bros (team fight), Runescape (Bounty Hunter). We're looking for MOBA experience. Keep in mind that it's mobile MOBA, not PC. Legends PvP is biased by luck, gear and kills. People with 0 kills look like total noobs and seem to not be eligible for this Alpha test because they have no PvP experience. We all have a big warrior in ourselves.

Edit: Roberto, I posted this 2 second after you posted that ^^^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

I agree on that, but teamwork and communication is not only in PvP. Tactics neither. It's found in team sports, at work, in boss fight, in Call of Duty, Super Smash Bros (team fight), Runescape (Bounty Hunter). We're looking for MOBA experience. Keep in mind that it's mobile MOBA, not PC. Legends PvP is biased by luck, gear and kills. People with 0 kills look like total noobs and seem to not be eligible for this Alpha test because they have no PvP experience. We all have a big warrior in ourselves.

Edit: Roberto, I posted this 2 second after you posted that ^^^^
    I did not say that teamwork and communication was not found outside of PvP; I just tried to make a point that AL/PL PvP do have gameplay correlations with MOBA's, which someone who previously posted thought otherwise.