Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Elixirs are ruining PL?]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Great post Kallielle, this game has become more of a profit machine now instead of the sweet little innocent game it used to be. Natural as STS get's bigger and expands. Miss the old days of AO2 and AO3, even then with the elixirs you needed good strategy.

As for the game itself. Mt. Fang will never be elixir free, STS has to gotta make there money and if this expansion is any indicator, they are gonna make a ton. Now an option to have elixir free games is a great idea. Elixirs are great for people who don't have as much time to play as other, but wanna keep up with current crowd. I don't think they are ruining the game, but I do feel bad about not using one if members of my group are. Things are slowing down as usual though, less elixir use and lower prices. In a week or two this will be an after thought, especially when new SL update comes out. Use of elixir is up to the individual and I don't think it makes the "established" players any less effective in non-elixir games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post

Elixirs do ruin teamplay. What happened to party based mmo? Why are there now mages and archers running ahead of bears and obliterating everything? Because of 4/3x combo elixirs.
    Not a true statement, sorry. Some mages and archers have ALWAYS played like this, with no combo elixirs. Go play a run with Physiologic, Rosettes, WhoIsThis, just for starters...mages and archers that are always up front dealing damage. Bears often waste time trying to kill single enemies instead of trying to lead the party, seen it dozens of times (not bashing bears, just some). Your statement is a broad stereotype that is not true in all instances.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 09-09-2011 at 07:20 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Not a true statement, sorry. Some mages and archers have ALWAYS played like this, with no combo elixirs. Go play a run with Physiologic, Rosettes, WhoIsThis, just for starters...mages and archers that are always up front dealing damage. Bears often waste time trying to kill single enemies instead of trying to lead the party, seen it dozens of times (not bashing bears, just some). Your statement is a broad stereotype that is not true in all instances.
    I completely agree. Front line birds have even been the cause of several threads about bears feeling useless in the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kalielle View Post
    I don't see how it can be possible to balance a game to account for the fact that in some teams everyone will have their stats increased several-fold. When AO3 first came out... ...everyone started using 2X elixirs all the time, and all the bosses were defeated an hour into the campaign. I don't think we ever found out if the Overlord could be defeated without pots. (Remember, I'm talking pre-rebalance.)

---

As for those who say "run your own runs without elixirs if you don't like them", let me say what everyone is thinking and no one wants to say out loud:

I don't play MMOs to prove to myself alone what I can do. I play them to show everyone else how awesome I am.
    Well said Kallielle; you are truly an exceptionally well-spoken person.

Many people play PL for recognition, but how good is said fame if it's no longer a challenge? I do not play for myself, I play for myself within the community. I don't want PL to be a divided "every man for himself" game, but one which it used to be where dedicated players worked together to discover how to defeat new and difficult bosses, while surviving because of teamwork.

Now, it's just a mad dash to level up and make money. With 2 potted people, you can farm Nuri's Madness and with a little luck, get rich. I miss the perilous-rushing days of AO2, and the epic-boss days of AO3.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in for a non-elixir run =)

Count me in! Slowly, but Surely, we will make it to the Elite 61s!

Eskaytree - lvl57 Pure Int Mage / Eskaythree - lvl57 Pure Dex Mage / Eskaythreee - lvl57 Pure Str Mage / Hitmeifyoucan - lvl56 Dual Spec Mage / Ilovetoloveu - lvl56 Tanker

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowie View Post
    There r group that still run without elixir. Join me anytime for a non elixir run. Cheers!

Btw, i dun oppose elixir!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Its not happening bro, as long as STS is makin money, all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!

I'm enjoying playing classical blues on my double bass
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Kossi areyou still in Aeo?
    Proud member of COT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

I rarely ever see a level completion button now that elixirs are so popular. I can understand getting the most from your money, but now all i see is skip... skip... rmk. All mini-bosses and side paths are skipped, and when all the easy kills along the main path are dead, its time to re-make.

I think that if we could buy 1000 xp for 10 plat, there would be a forum thread discussing which is more cost effective: using elixirs vs buying xp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

4x and plat only elixirs ruined the game, plain and simple. I mean, who the hell even buys 1.5x... I wouldn't be surprised if devs released a 5x elixir...
    SLUSHIE - PROUD MEMBER OF REVELATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    4x and plat only elixirs ruined the game, plain and simple. I mean, who the hell even buys 1.5x... I wouldn't be surprised if devs released a 5x elixir...
    Ahem...me? Lol I buy a ton every day XD It doesnt give me insane tanking/massive dps powers but its a nice boost
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    I buy 1.5 elixirs if I have a steady team which usually consists of 4 combo users and me running up the rear. I buy them because they only cost me virtual money and not a thin red cent from my own personal pocket. You can rest assured that I a 5x elix was projected to make STS money, then it would be introduced in the subsequent patch. Think of how the 4x xp elix was introduced; teasers for the new campaign were leaked, hints of the cap increase followed, then suddenly a new challenger appeared (4x xp elixir).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

I definitely think elixirs have lessened the game. It's no fun for me to run behind players who are potted and just blast their way through levels. It takes all the challenge and excitement out of the game.

Here's another thought- A few months ago the devs brought GCD to the game. At the time they said the primary reason for this was to make the game more strategy based instead of "button mashing". They said they wanted players to become more skillful in when to use skills and in what order and to foster teamwork.

If that's the vision they have for PL then how do 3x and 4x elixirs foster that? I think the devs have lost their way. Somewhere along the way it became more about making money than providing a fun game to play. I don't think there's any question that elixirs are the major source of revenue right now and I personally feel that more money is being spent on the game right now than any other time before. Because of this I don't see elixirs ever going to way. I mean, which one of us would voluntarily give ourselves a pay cut?

I don't play as much as I used to just because I like feeling part of the group and I don't when I'm running with players who are potted, I feel like a leech. I'll pop in and search for a non potted game and if I find one then I play but if not I log out then try again later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Personally, I've never spent plat on an elixir, I pride myself on not needing to use them, but at the end of the day, I ALSO don't use them because my wife would likely attempt to kill me if I spent hundreds of dollars playing this game (she just doesn't understand, what can I say ). I've never been booted for not using elixirs, but I also either host my games or I play with friends who are hosting them. Playing PUG's just gets too discouraging frequently (of course there are diamonds in the rough).

Ive found if you play well, you get friends who play well. Stick with them, and you can still enjoy the pride of awesomeness (like my pride at being a key member of THE best 51 farming group of all time) and with a good group, you'll still run thru levels at Nuri, and enjoy the challenge. I don't like everything about elixirs, but I also understand that they are the business model of STS, and I'm guessing from all appearances, that they are enjoying the greatest success of their history because of them, so we who don't use them have to accept it or move on I'm afraid. I for one, have chosen to accept it I hope you do too.
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    Here's another thought- A few months ago the devs brought GCD to the game. At the time they said the primary reason for this was to make the game more strategy based instead of "button mashing". They said they wanted players to become more skillful in when to use skills and in what order and to foster teamwork.
    I button mash more than ever because they don't register correctly after the GCD implementation. They also said, eventually, we will wonder how we ever lived without GCD. I still don't feel it... I long for the pre-GCD days.

Yes, I agree entirely with your view that the 3x and 4x are counter productive in their desire to foster more skilled players and teamwork. Combined with the diminished game play of GCD and it just isn't what it once was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csb View Post
    I rarely ever see a level completion button now that elixirs are so popular. I can understand getting the most from your money, but now all i see is skip... skip... rmk. All mini-bosses and side paths are skipped, and when all the easy kills along the main path are dead, its time to re-make.
    To be fair, I often skip mini bosses when farming too. They take too long to kill and offer junk drops. Why waste time.

Quote Originally Posted by csb View Post
    I think that if we could buy 1000 xp for 10 plat, there would be a forum thread discussing which is more cost effective: using elixirs vs buying xp.
    lmao