Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Bible verse?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

@Geray...

Through 3 or so posts... I have not understood at least half of what you have said...

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noodleleg View Post
    @Geray...

Through 3 or so posts... I have not understood at least half of what you have said...
    I think he is debating with himself which Bible has the more accurate Godliness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geray776 View Post
    I like that one cloak but this is the king James version of the verse : Joshua 1:9
    Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
    Btw in case u guys r wondering the King James Version of the Bible is actually the first English translation right from the Hebrew and the other bibles like niv nkjv and many others are not inspired by God cause man is changing the words of the bible and making the words more "simple"" it's a shames but If u hav any questions I'll be glad to answer and another thing I dnt get y some say the new king James if better than the king James version and ""it's the right bible when they even put the NEW King James obviously it's a copy and changed up version of the Kjv which Is ashame people believe the lies of this world
    (Yes, before I even say it, this is a JOKE - and not a slam on anyone's faith, or the notion of faith, or the bible, or any other type of religious text, or the people who read them, or about the validity of them, or anything else!! Just wanted to put that out before I troll on a bible thread! Fairness-in-Trolling Act, ya know)

I prefer Ed's Really-New Revised Standard New World Modern Edition

4. The Following User Says Thank You to captaintuttle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    I think he is debating with himself which Bible has the more accurate Godliness.
    With whom? Himself... 'Nuff said...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

I am not a christian, nor do I believe in any higher spiritual presence. However, I do think the bible could make a killer action packed major motion picture. If they just replaced "god" with a vengeful evil tyrant, it'd be win. Below are some ruthless quotes consisting of killing babies, condoning slavery, condoning rape, etc. I am sure there are some caveat's to these quotes, as people will point out. And I am sure that some people will come to the bible's defense on these quotes, but I just want to clarify, that I just thought these quotes were pretty awesome/crazy to come out of the bible and I mean no disrespect to any of you. Enjoy!

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock," (Psalms 137:9)

If you refuse to obey all the terms of this law that are written in this book, and if you do not fear the glorious and awesome name of the LORD your God, then the LORD will overwhelm both you and your children with indescribable plagues. These plagues will be intense and without relief, making you miserable and unbearably sick. He will bring against you all the diseases of Egypt that you feared so much, and they will claim you. The LORD will bring against you every sickness and plague there is, even those not mentioned in this Book of the Law, until you are destroyed. Though you are as numerous as the stars in the sky, few of you will be left because you would not listen to the LORD your God. "Just as the LORD has found great pleasure in helping you to prosper and multiply, the LORD will find pleasure in destroying you, until you disappear from the land you are about to enter and occupy. For the LORD will scatter you among all the nations from one end of the earth to the other. There you will worship foreign gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, gods made of wood and stone! There among those nations you will find no place of security and rest. And the LORD will cause your heart to tremble, your eyesight to fail, and your soul to despair. Your lives will hang in doubt. You will live night and day in fear, with no reason to believe that you will see the morning light. In the morning you will say, 'If only it were night!' And in the evening you will say, 'If only it were morning!' You will say this because of your terror at the awesome horrors you see around you. Then the LORD will send you back to Egypt in ships, a journey I promised you would never again make. There you will offer to sell yourselves to your enemies as slaves, but no one will want to buy you. (Deuteronomy 28:58-68 NLT)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Wives, be subordinate to your husbands, as is proper in the Lord. (Colossians 3:18 NAB)

Slaves, obey your human masters in everything, not only when being watched, as currying favor, but in simplicity of heart, fearing the Lord. (Colossians 3:22 NAB)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife. (Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB)

"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. (Deuteronomy 21:10-14 NAB)

Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city. (Zechariah 14:1-2 NAB)

Let's make it SPARKLE!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morfic For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morfic View Post
    I am not a christian, nor do I believe in any higher spiritual presence. However, I do think the bible could make a killer action packed major motion picture. If they just replaced "god" with a vengeful evil tyrant, it'd be win. Below are some ruthless quotes consisting of killing babies, condoning slavery, condoning rape, etc. I am sure there are some caveat's to these quotes, as people will point out. And I am sure that some people will come to the bible's defense on these quotes, but I just want to clarify, that I just thought these quotes were pretty awesome/crazy to come out of the bible and I mean no disrespect to any of you. Enjoy!

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock," (Psalms 137:9)

If you refuse to obey all the terms of this law that are written in this book, and if you do not fear the glorious and awesome name of the LORD your God, then the LORD will overwhelm both you and your children with indescribable plagues. These plagues will be intense and without relief, making you miserable and unbearably sick. He will bring against you all the diseases of Egypt that you feared so much, and they will claim you. The LORD will bring against you every sickness and plague there is, even those not mentioned in this Book of the Law, until you are destroyed. Though you are as numerous as the stars in the sky, few of you will be left because you would not listen to the LORD your God. "Just as the LORD has found great pleasure in helping you to prosper and multiply, the LORD will find pleasure in destroying you, until you disappear from the land you are about to enter and occupy. For the LORD will scatter you among all the nations from one end of the earth to the other. There you will worship foreign gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, gods made of wood and stone! There among those nations you will find no place of security and rest. And the LORD will cause your heart to tremble, your eyesight to fail, and your soul to despair. Your lives will hang in doubt. You will live night and day in fear, with no reason to believe that you will see the morning light. In the morning you will say, 'If only it were night!' And in the evening you will say, 'If only it were morning!' You will say this because of your terror at the awesome horrors you see around you. Then the LORD will send you back to Egypt in ships, a journey I promised you would never again make. There you will offer to sell yourselves to your enemies as slaves, but no one will want to buy you. (Deuteronomy 28:58-68 NLT)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Wives, be subordinate to your husbands, as is proper in the Lord. (Colossians 3:18 NAB)

Slaves, obey your human masters in everything, not only when being watched, as currying favor, but in simplicity of heart, fearing the Lord. (Colossians 3:22 NAB)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife. (Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB)

"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. (Deuteronomy 21:10-14 NAB)

Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city. (Zechariah 14:1-2 NAB)

The oracle senses a sharp note in thy future.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StompArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Thisis EXACTLY what I was talking about...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodleleg For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleleg View Post
    @Geray...

Stomp artist im not debating which bible is accurate I'm saying the kjv is accurate and each post I put is about something different lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Favorite Bible verse?

Btw y would u prefer all these other translations Luke niv or nkjv or etc when kjv is the first English translation y would u look at one that's a copy from it with a few changed words

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Favorite Bible verse?

O one of the post I put was basically y don't alot of people wanna serve God when he is our creator I mean y wouldn't anybody wanna serve the one who made them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Btw y would u prefer all these other translations Luke niv or nkjv or etc when kjv is the first English translation y would u look at one that's a copy from it with a few changed words
    Not trying to be funny but all those English versions seem to be translations upon translations (as per image below), so does it really matter which you use?

Go here for historical, I am having trouble pasting the picture for some Interweb conspiracy related reason: http://www.gentles.info/BibleHistory/Index_History.html

Name:  F1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  142.1 KB
    Last edited by StompArtist; 07-03-2012 at 08:45 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to StompArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

The idea of this post was to either post ones fav verse or not, the reason it was not locked was because this thread is not one of debate, each person has a choice if they have a fav verse post it, if not well do not...

This thread was not made to invoke flaming, or for a debate, a debate such as this is one that will cause discord, here or anyplace else.

If people read things in a thread they do not care for, do not respond and move on. Selective speaking keeps the peace. People do NOT alwayse have to argue.. Just saying......
    IF YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL ACHIEVE.....
    Just lady..tigerizstar..mivida..ladyhadazza..ladyhadasa

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LADYHADASSA For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I would also be interested to read people's favorite quotes from the religious texts of other cultures.

To those who would toss out the Bible on the grounds that it is a human creation I would say, what else will you throw away on these grounds? Just because you realize that there aren't really any elves or orcs, do you throw away Tolkien? Of course we are not children caught in the wonder of fairyland! However, we should never stop feeling wonder.

My culture is not that different from other cultures. We have a central heroic figure. This figure sacrifices himself in an allegory that is meant to be internalized, not externalized. Internally, each of us must sacrifice ourselves every day, for our families or spouses or friends or the community as a whole. We must slay our egos. And as long as we fight the simpler folks who treat it as some guarantee of after death reward for all their sacrifices, we will miss the point.

Of course the texts from ancient times are filled with discussions of the fair way to treat slaves. If slavery exists, there must be a code of behavior, or else the social manners decay to the point of disrespect and dissolution. I'm glad that my online friends' favorite verses are about slavery. These things should never be forgotten, or allowed to occur again. But my favorite verse is still the Beatitudes.

And I have many favorite verses from the Tao Te Ching, the Bhagavad Gita, the teachings of Baha'ulah, even the Words of the High One (said to have been spoken by Odin as he too was crucified). Just because Odin is a mythological figure, that doesn't negate the value of the Eddas.
    Last edited by Snakespeare; 07-03-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: corrected to "we will miss the point." the sentence didn't make sense

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snakespeare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    I would also be interested to read people's favorite quotes from the religious texts of other cultures.

To those who would toss out the Bible on the grounds that it is a human creation I would say, what else will you throw away on these grounds? Just because you realize that there aren't really any elves or orcs, do you throw away Tolkien? Of course we are not children caught in the wonder of fairyland! However, we should never stop feeling wonder.

My culture is not that different from other cultures. We have a central heroic figure. This figure sacrifices himself in an allegory that is meant to be internalized, not externalized. Internally, each of us must sacrifice ourselves every day, for our families or spouses or friends or the community as a whole. We must slay our egos. And as long as we fight the simpler folks who treat it as some guarantee of after death reward for all their sacrifices, we will do the very thing it is teaching.

Of course the texts from ancient times are filled with discussions of the fair way to treat slaves. If slavery exists, there must be a code of behavior, or else the social manners decay to the point of disrespect and dissolution. I'm glad that my online friends' favorite verses are about slavery. These things should never be forgotten, or allowed to occur again. But my favorite verse is still the Beatitudes.

And I have many favorite verses from the Tao Te Ching, the Bhagavad Gita, the teachings of Baha'ulah, even the Words of the High One (said to have been spoken by Odin as he too was crucified). Just because Odin is a mythological figure, that doesn't negate the value of the Eddas.
    This is why I love Snakespeare!! NIIIIIIICE!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to captaintuttle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

That reminds me wasn't there one about not eating meat and dairy products at the same time? Like a hamburger?
    When there is too much

Don't forget

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenixking For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Meh... But to be honest... My favorite book has to be the book of Judges... It has so many great stories there ^_^!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I like that one cloak but this is the king James version of the verse : Joshua 1:9
    Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
    Btw in case u guys r wondering the King James Version of the Bible is actually the first English translation right from the Hebrew and the other bibles like niv nkjv and many others are not inspired by God cause man is changing the words of the bible and making the words more "simple"" it's a shames but If u hav any questions I'll be glad to answer and another thing I dnt get y some say the new king James if better than the king James version and ""it's the right bible when they even put the NEW King James obviously it's a copy and changed up version of the Kjv which Is ashame people believe the lies of this world
    Yeah, mines paraphrased, just the way I like it everyone has there own taste in the bible but what matters is its the word of God. Thats what counts.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloakker For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post

My culture is not that different from other cultures. We have a central heroic figure. This figure sacrifices himself in an allegory that is meant to be internalized, not externalized. Internally, each of us must sacrifice ourselves every day, for our families or spouses or friends or the community as a whole. We must slay our egos. And as long as we fight the simpler folks who treat it as some guarantee of after death reward for all their sacrifices, we will miss the point.

Orcs are not real? Prove it! :-P

29.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #79
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LADYHADASSA View Post
    The idea of this post was to either post ones fav verse or not, the reason it was not locked was because this thread is not one of debate, each person has a choice if they have a fav verse post it, if not well do not...

This thread was not made to invoke flaming, or for a debate, a debate such as this is one that will cause discord, here or anyplace else.

If people read things in a thread they do not care for, do not respond and move on. Selective speaking keeps the peace. People do NOT alwayse have to argue.. Just saying......
    Exactly, please stay on topic. If you want to post, post your favorite verse. Please leave out the commentary. Thanks!
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Thank you Samhayne!

Dear everybody else,

I was not looking for a debate. I love debating the Bible and honestly I've heard every argument against it out there. I'm not here to debate the Bible. I'm here because I wanted people to post their favorite verses so that I could read them each day. If you're looking for a debate, pm me or something. (I promise I'll crush you ) If you're not, then please, please, please, get off my thread. You have no business getting this thread locked.

Thank you
    ~MM