Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Developing Story: Arcane Shards Discovered in Mount Rockhorn!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
    We're listening, if the consensus seem to lean towards restricting the recipe to individual farming that is within our power to do so. The current plan is to allow it to be tradeable after purchase, but is an open point of debate internally here as well as it has pros and cons associated. Please feel free to leave more feedback about this aspect if you have an opinion on the matter. Obviously if we choose one, it doesn't mean it will be that way forever, so perhaps an initial offering of non-tradeable to start that becomes tradeable as the season comes to an end is feasible. Going the other way would create much more friction.
    I know some people are not going to agree with my opinion and are going to say that what I suggest is "too hard", but I think this will make for tons of fun.... Here is how I would do it:

Make the Dragons Teeth an epic rarity item that drops from the elite bosses in the new expansion, and make them drop at a decent rate. Make it so that a large number of Dragons Teeth are needed to purchase the recipe for the Arcane Ring, perhaps 50-100 of them depending on how often they drop. Then make the recipe tradable, but NOT the Dragons Teeth.

The result of this is that the recipe will end up being very valuable and not only the Arcane Shard. Obtaining the recipe will be something that takes weeks/months, similar to how the ichor quest was in Pocket Legends. It will be a long grind, and should take a few hundred elite boss kills minimum in order to obtain enough Dragons Teeth to purchase the recipe. This will give non-plat spenders an opportunity to earn money by farming for Dragons Teeth.

Remember that the Arcane Ring should be good for multiple seasons, so this should be a long grind and something that keeps us interested for a long time. Remember in Pocket Legends how everyone wanted to craft demonic sets, but those glyph steels and other crafting components were so hard to find? It took months to craft those sets, and even then most players could not manage to craft a full set. That was a ton of fun! But crafting in the later PL expansions was very boring by comparison and within a month of each expansion, most players had fully crafted sets.

People will say that they want it to be easy, and they will complain when it is hard, but the truth is that they get bored when it is easy, and they play more when it is a challenge. Make it difficult, and not only luck based, but make there be some element of it that requires some hard work.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 02-24-2014 at 03:02 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post: