Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Van Drop Rates

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flowman View Post
    Flip the prices from low-high to high-low. Problem solved.
    Bad advice, i will miss cheap xray visors at AH
    U know they go for like 5-25k at AH!

-Raghav

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Eventually all these items that are currently dropping left and right will become rare (new users who didn't get a chance to farm for the items, old users who have them quit playing and their stuff becomes unavailable, etc). Just like with any other event items, over time the prices will climb. Just be patient, stock up, and hold onto the stuff while everyone else is scrambling around trying to sell theirs for cheap.
    Last edited by Libertie; 07-16-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seiyen View Post
    Bad advice, i will miss cheap xray visors at AH
    U know they go for like 5-25k at AH!

-Raghav
    There is barely any new items listed over 5k now. Maybe 1 or 2. Enjoy your "10 minutes of searching" going through the hard way.

-why do you sign your posts, we know who is posting it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

There is barely any new items listed over 5k now. Maybe 1 or 2. Enjoy your "10 minutes of searching" going through the hard way.

-why do you sign your posts, we know who is posting it
    Thats why i think these new vanities should become green vanities rather than blue vanities,so that we can search for the vanity we need more efficiently

For sign its been like this for a long time,thats how i roll lol

-Raghav

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Libertie View Post
    Eventually all these items that are currently dropping left and right will become rare (new users who didn't get a chance to farm for the items, old users who have them quit playing and their stuff becomes unavailable, etc). Just like with any other event items, over time the prices will climb. Just be patient, stock up, and hold onto the stuff while everyone else is scrambling around trying to sell theirs for cheap.
    Yes, but if everyone does this it may take 20 years to see the prices go up, stocking up on these would be like stocking up on common pokemon cards. Maybe one day all the others will cease to exist and the value will go up, but I wouldn't count on it at the current drop rate. enough has dropped already to supply the market for a couple years, by friday........ well you get the picture. Don't forget, people will also get tired of them and resell theirs.

KillaSkillz- my guess 8312

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Libertie View Post
    yes prices are eventually bound to go up , no question that .However the drop rates are so high that for a measly increment of 1k may take months ( may even be higher ). So if you are planning on hoarding these , be prepared to wait a considerable amount of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

the purpose of the vanities is NOT so a few greedy players can rip off the rest of us

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snakespeare For This Useful Post:

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    the purpose of the vanities is NOT so a few greedy players can rip off the rest of us
    smart fellow^^

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

I farm all mine, and have spent months doing it. Still searching for a squidbuddy. I understand your feeling, but until you spend hours every day for 2-3 months to get an xray or squidbuddy, I wouldn't call it ripping people off, I would call it decently compensated for the farmers time spent for them to part with the fruit of their labor.

I am ok with these common vanities, i'm just saying people shouldn't think they are going to get rich off of them, the supply is enormous, and will be for a very long time.

KillaSkillz- my guess 8312

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KillaSkillz View Post
    I farm all mine, and have spent months doing it. Still searching for a squidbuddy. I understand your feeling, but until you spend hours every day for 2-3 months to get an xray or squidbuddy, I wouldn't call it ripping people off, I would call it decently compensated for the farmers time spent for them to part with the fruit of their labor.

I am ok with these common vanities, i'm just saying people shouldn't think they are going to get rich off of them, the supply is enormous, and will be for a very long time.
    i got rich, made 100k first few hours selling them hella cheap others sold em for like 300k+ i sold mine for 5-23k lol

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Sadly this is the problem with any item with high demand . Honestly i still believe comedy's and tragedy's have the same drop rate as lets say an x ray or squid, Just the demand for it isnt high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Nah Kano. I can get 5 free plat from tapjoy in less than 10 minutes. If someone wanted a vanity from the store, they would get one from tapjoy. The idea of vanity in real life or in a game is that you have an item which is of no necessity to you except to look good. Nowhere in the description is the idea of it being a rare thing. Ok, in real life they are usually expensive because they are to show off and money = fame, however in game it is the concept of it not being needed but looking good.
    Nothing related to any players or drug references because they already got me into trouble

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matutd View Post
    Nah Kano. I can get 5 free plat from tapjoy in less than 10 minutes. If someone wanted a vanity from the store, they would get one from tapjoy. The idea of vanity in real life or in a game is that you have an item which is of no necessity to you except to look good. Nowhere in the description is the idea of it being a rare thing. Ok, in real life they are usually expensive because they are to show off and money = fame, however in game it is the concept of it not being needed but looking good.
    Doesnt matter if its tapjoy or not , the fact that its only available for platinum means its rare. Does not matter how you get that plat the fact that you have to spend real money in a game to get it = rare.One may argue that the plat is from offers ? Tapjoy pays STS a small amount for that plat. Simple Logic here , if vanities were not rare , they would drop frequently. Because they are rare is why people buy vanities from the plat store.

Vanities are in fact just for looks and boast no other stats but this doesnt mean they have to be rare . Think about it for a second , if tapjoy does not offer free offers , people would have to buy plat . Not every one buys plat , therefore less people have it. Vanities are not designed to drop for everyone. If not wouldnt you think devs would have made them drop with miners ? ( There is no plausible argument to counter this ) A dev him self said that a player can run a million times and not see a vanity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kanozaki View Post
    Stuff
    Rare - not widely distributed; not generally occurring; highly valued because of its uncommonness

In this game, something available for real money isn't rare. It's available in unlimited supply. Just because you don't see a lot of them in game doesn't make it rare. If everything was on the same line of currency, then you would be correct. But you can't take an outside variable (real money) and throw it in the mix. The only rare items are the ones gotten through drops in game, not purchasable.

With that said, if these new vanity items were to drop as greens or purples...they would need stats. If these had stats, they'd probably be bad stats...or at least worse than the capped armor we have now. No one would wear them. But since this event is about marines killing bugs...we get a marine outfit. By definition, vanity items are not meant to be rare. They're useless items meant to enhance our appearance in our own eyes. In fact, they "Lack real value." By this definition, there is nothing wrong with this drop rate. The fact that the other vanities are hard to get has nothing to do with these. They're not meant to make money, they're meant to let people customize their outfits.

Oh and vanities ARE designed to drop for everyone. It's a random number system on a wheel. It's just that not everyone rolls the correct numbers...but anyone can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Rare - not widely distributed; not generally occurring; highly valued because of its uncommonness

In this game, something available for real money isn't rare. It's available in unlimited supply. Just because you don't see a lot of them in game doesn't make it rare. If everything was on the same line of currency, then you would be correct. But you can't take an outside variable (real money) and throw it in the mix. The only rare items are the ones gotten through drops in game, not purchasable.

With that said, if these new vanity items were to drop as greens or purples...they would need stats. If these had stats, they'd probably be bad stats...or at least worse than the capped armor we have now. No one would wear them. But since this event is about marines killing bugs...we get a marine outfit. By definition, vanity items are not meant to be rare. They're useless items meant to enhance our appearance in our own eyes. In fact, they "Lack real value." By this definition, there is nothing wrong with this drop rate. The fact that the other vanities are hard to get has nothing to do with these. They're not meant to make money, they're meant to let people customize their outfits.

Oh and vanities ARE designed to drop for everyone. It's a random number system on a wheel. It's just that not everyone rolls the correct numbers...but anyone can.
    Oh and vanities ARE designed to drop for everyone.

hmm i phrased that wrong , what i meant was it doesn't drop for every one and it was designed this way. some may spend a life time and never see one.

They're not meant to make money, they're meant to let people customize their outfits.

Actually , the original dropped vanities were designed to be an indirect source of revenue. If the drop mechanics was designed to roll this "number" more frequently , most people would stick with dropped vanities instead of going for the store ones. That being said , the price was not meant to be stupendously high like they are now but when ever there is an item with high demand , prices skyrocket and there will always be people to take advantage of this ( Basic economics ).

If you look individually at the term " vanity " , yes its an item primarily for looks. However when you look at in context of SL , the "dropped" vanities are something not every one acquires. Thus crowning the term " rare". Does this mean that every vanity in the future has to be rare ? not necessarily .

As you said since this was a "movie" themed event it was meant to drop frequently but after this event it over it will once again be rare.